Latitude e6500 10.12.5 install

griftopia

Starting this thread since I'm having some issues booting of the USB for Sierra I created. I followed instructions as per this thread on Herve's advice.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8645-dell-latitude-d630-with-core2duo-and-nvidia-quadro-nvs-135m-el-capitansierra/

However I can't get my USB to boot. It attempts to boot and then skips over to HD to try to boot. I've built the USB twice. Is there some step missing, or how can I check. I installed latest Enoch 2889.

Thanks for any help.

PS - Should I use Boot.plist I used with 10.11 for the e6500? I see the D630 packs version is missing kext-dev-mode=1 and npci=0x2000. I don't think this should prevent USB from booting, but just asking.

@Bronxtech. Yeah I tried that. That wasn't the problem. So I had multiple issues.

First, I forgot I should use the lower USB port on the right.

Second, the D630 pack Boot.plist did not have Timeout value. And as it so happens, I was overwriting on a Yosemite HD, so I mistakenly thought it was trying to boot of the HD, when what it was doing is not give me opportunity to interrupt and specify -f -v. Not sure what QuiteBoot does in the D630 pack boot plist

So I just decided to use my 10.11 boot plist and it booted! I also have npci=0x2000. Not sure necessary anymore but I knew it was with 10.11. In any case, I formatted two partitions, and like I do always am installing windows on the 2nd partition, then will boot back from USB and try install Sierra. I took all the kexts in the D630 bootpack except the USB Injector for now. Not sure about the Ethernet Kext, I know I was using AppleIntel1000E with the e6500, but I will figure all that out by trial and error.

So far so good. Let's see how far I can get.

PS - Can I use my USBInjector from 10.11. After all, I'm using my DSDT for e6500. Thinking it will just work.

PROGRESS !!!

Good News

- QE/CI works. Tested first looking at ScreenSaver.

- DVD player didn't work (initial attempt to test QE/CI). Used IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext from 10.11 install (which Bronxtech had provided then). WORKS!

- lpscidrv.kext and BMC5722D.kext I believe are supposed to help Networking. In any case they don't seem to apply to e6500. Searched for 10.12 version of AppleIntelE1000.kext and now Ethernet Works!

- wifi worked OOTB (DW 1510)

- Supplied VoodooHDA.kext didn't work. Strange because it is version 2.8.8. In any case downloaded and installed 2.8.8 package and Sound Works. Maybe it has to be in /S/L/E from the get go. Had to patch the kext for Mute and VolumeChange fixes.

- Sleep works. Tested manually putting it to sleep and waking using Power button. Didn't test all scenarios, but for now it is okay.

- Using DellBluetoothHCI.kext I had with 10.11. Works! Like then, I can't turn Bluetooth on/off, it is always ON. I can live with it.

Bad News 

- USB_Injector from 10.11 did not work. Herve had provided a patched dsdt along with this kext for 10.11. Didn't work with patched dsdt either. So right now using dsdt used at start up and have only the lower right USB port working (which I also used for usb boot)

- HWSensor says Battery at 117% charged  :huh:

Extra folder is attached. If anyone can help...

Extra.zip

• Administrators

lspcidrv kext (not lpsci) is part of the tool package that allows to list PCI devices, hence its name. It comes with a set of binary executables and database. Nothing to do with LAN card driver. I posted a dedicated thread on the matter some time ago, look it up.

BCM5722D is a Broadcom LAN driver. If you have an Intel LAN card in the E6500, it's clearly of no use.

I'm not entirely convinced you'd need this DellBluetoothHCI kext. What's the BT module fitted to the E6500 and what are its PCI ids? I would expect you'd be able to turn it off and on with a classic IOBluetoothFamily PlugIn patch. Look up the R&D->Wireless & Bluetooth section for details. There are several reference threads on this matter.

I'm not surprised your previous USB injector does not work. You were probably using MBP5,1 SMBIOS in El Capitan and now use MBP7,1 in Sierra. As such, you have to modify your kext to tune it to MBP7,1 model. Failing that, replace it with Rehabman's USBInjectAll kext.

Battery, well, which kext do you use? Probably an old driver... Look up Rehabman's Github repository and install his latest ACPIBatteryManager kext.

Thanks for the lspcidrv education. Useful to have. I read up your post on it. Unsure if there is a latest version of myHack (while I don't think so) to copy those programs to usr/local, usr/bin. Will be the last thing I will try. Right before I take a look at Bluetooth. The Dell kext come to think of it I've had from Yosemite days on this laptop and unless I'm mistaken was provided by insanelymac. I know it is Broadcom.

Got the latest USBInjectAll kext. With dsdt patch for EH stuff, now all USB ports working! I made sure they continue to work after coming out of sleep. And closing/opening lid sleeping also works!

Got the latest ACPIBatteryManager kext. HWSensor now showing 100%. One issue is at boot or after coming out of sleep, now my Battery Icon has an X in it. If I plug/unplug power cable then I get it back with percent and everything. I believe I had same issue with 10.11. Not a terrible problem to have. Wanted to ask if newer FakeSMC will work? I'm using one from the D630 pack right now.

Also I installed 10.12.6 while waiting for response, so sitting quite pretty at this time. You guys make it so simple. Thank you!

• Administrators

You can try the latest FakeSMC if you wish; should work without problems.

What's your Bluetooth module? I assume it's a Dell model like DW360, DW375, DW380. Look up it's PCI ids under SysProfiler->USB.

Battery might require a little additional DSDT patch...

One confusion I've had with taking latest FakeSMC is that Rehabman version always has the "Plugin" kexts separate. So do I just take the FakeSMC.kext file? Or take all the kext files? Or should I copy the Plugin kexts into folder and make up my own FakeSMC.kext.

Finally it also ships with HWMonitor. Should I use it?

• Administrators

if you have no use for the monitoring plugins don't install it or the app. the plugins and app are not mandatory. also they will run without being inside fakesmc kext. one of the plugins also does not work for laptops and will cause a kernel panic. also slices version works better for clover as it adds some smc keys. but that one has an installer that drops it into S/L/E for some reason. very annoying well to me LOL.

ps AppleIntel1000E might cause sleep issues in the newer OS's this supersedes it http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304235-intelmausiethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/

The existing FakeSMC kext from D630 pack has all the plugins and is not causing any issues. I do want to monitor the temperatures so i need the plugin kexts. I can try the new RehabMan kexts keeping everything in E/E and see what happens. If it doesn't work, no big deal. 

My laptop right now is eminently usable. I'm a happy camper. And good to know 10.13 will work on it as well !!!

So far AppleIntel1000 kext not causing any issues, touch wood.