A success D820 Lion installation

Noodle

Hi Forum,

Thanks for the forum and excellent EDP.

I have a Dell D820. Spec as:

2G Centrino Duo, 2G RAM, 80G Intel SSD. Replace Intel wireless card with Dell (Boardcom) one, and installed Bluetooth card.

My installation steps as:

BIOS: disable serial port, parallel port, setup system password.

Use unifail create a bootable USB stick (check tony's x86 blog).

Copy VoodooTSCSync.kext into USB stick /S/L/E (This is important, otherwise mouse is so hard to move during installation)

Use this USB stick to boot and install into hard disk. After reboot, System still boot from USB stick, but select boot from your HDD. Now you should have a running Lion with working WIFI. Update to 10.7.2 and any software update. Just remember you still cannot boot from HDD directly yet. So always boot from USB and select HDD from boot loader.

After all update, install EDP latest (2.2 at this time). After install, open terminal and run edpcommand. Install whatever you need. (I'm using D820 with Intel video). Install boot loader and so on.

Few issue:

1. Sometime VoodooHDA 2.7.3 could cause KP. Especially when you boot with "-f". Normally another reboot should fix it. This is VoodooHDA 2.7.3 bug. I hope patched AppleHDA should work, but didn't test it yet.

2. Sleep/wakeup works in most cases. The exceptions are USB keyboard and mouse. I following every step from wiki.

The pain part is: after wakeup, you cannot input system password from usb keyboard, it will only accept input from laptop keyboard.

Another issue is: USB keyboard and mouse will not work unless you install a USB stick. Either before sleep you have a USB stick plugged in, or after sleep you plug in a USB stick, both will make USB keyboard/mouse work again.

3. Display brightness issue. I also followed instruction. Disable sensor in BIOS, apply brightness fix in EDP and so on. It works in most cases, but sometimes after system wakeup from sleep, display is very very dark, and cannot adjust it from anywhere. In this case, I just put system into sleep again, and wake it up again.

Thanks again, and hope we found solution for issues someday.

Noodle

Noodle, Thanks for the post!!!

It helped me a lot installing Lion@D820-NVidia.

I didn't copy VoodooTSCSync.kext into my USB S/L/E 'coz I can't find it, I just disabled MultiCore in the Bios and it worked.

Again thanks for the forum and great EDP.

kiShine

Hi,

started over to use my D820 with Lion 10.7.3

I did 2 times a new installation until I found out to disbaled first the Wireless Switcher WIFI,Bluetooth and WWAN module. Very important before push Chameleon, because the NIC was installed as Bluetooth Pan device and confused me a lot. After this Learning, the installation worked out of the Box with the create given EDP and Boot Packs of this Forum. NIC installation pop up when configuring System Pref's and my Touchpad works like an Apple one. :-)

Something which made trouble is the Display Diming and Display Standby. After 5 minutes the Display turned off and I was not able to get in back.

Reboot and disabled the Power Option in the Energy Saver "Automatical reduce Brightness before display go to sleep" and turned Display sleep OFF. Computer sleep I don't need too.

Something which not works right now is the WIFI Card because it is an Intel Device. This will be replaced next week by an BCM4xxx.

Question: will this Card work? Do not have exp. with Broadcom Cards.

http://www.sparepartz.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2715_DELL-Mini-PCI-Express-WLAN-Card-802-11n-g-b.htmn

Now I start over to use Chameleon to change the Boot Screen and learn tweaking the OSX System.

Update: Got an Dell BCM4321. WORKS. Was detected as Bluetooth PAN Devices. Removed and add as new WIFI devices :D

cheers

ASCDE

MANY MANY THANKS to the Leaders and Developers of this Forum.

I own you minimum a Beer :-)

Thanks for amazing tutorial. It was very useful. Now I'm running 10.7.3 on d820 with windows 7 as dualboot. The only one thing which is not working on my hackintosh is screen sleep. I managed with it by setting screen sleep as 'never'.

Hi Forum,

Thanks for the forum and excellent EDP.

I have a Dell D820. Spec as:

2G Centrino Duo, 2G RAM, 80G Intel SSD. Replace Intel wireless card with Dell (Boardcom) one, and installed Bluetooth card.

My installation steps as:

BIOS: disable serial port, parallel port, setup system password.

Use unifail create a bootable USB stick (check tony's x86 blog).

Copy VoodooTSCSync.kext into USB stick /S/L/E (This is important, otherwise mouse is so hard to move during installation)

Use this USB stick to boot and install into hard disk. After reboot, System still boot from USB stick, but select boot from your HDD. Now you should have a running Lion with working WIFI. Update to 10.7.2 and any software update. Just remember you still cannot boot from HDD directly yet. So always boot from USB and select HDD from boot loader.

After all update, install EDP latest (2.2 at this time). After install, open terminal and run edpcommand. Install whatever you need. (I'm using D820 with Intel video). Install boot loader and so on.

Few issue:

1. Sometime VoodooHDA 2.7.3 could cause KP. Especially when you boot with "-f". Normally another reboot should fix it. This is VoodooHDA 2.7.3 bug. I hope patched AppleHDA should work, but didn't test it yet.

2. Sleep/wakeup works in most cases. The exceptions are USB keyboard and mouse. I following every step from wiki.

The pain part is: after wakeup, you cannot input system password from usb keyboard, it will only accept input from laptop keyboard.

Another issue is: USB keyboard and mouse will not work unless you install a USB stick. Either before sleep you have a USB stick plugged in, or after sleep you plug in a USB stick, both will make USB keyboard/mouse work again.

3. Display brightness issue. I also followed instruction. Disable sensor in BIOS, apply brightness fix in EDP and so on. It works in most cases, but sometimes after system wakeup from sleep, display is very very dark, and cannot adjust it from anywhere. In this case, I just put system into sleep again, and wake it up again.

Thanks again, and hope we found solution for issues someday.

Noodle

I created a boot USB Stick with unifail.

When I boot using -x -v or just -v the start up gets to the part of loading Kexts where I think the graphics are supposed to kick in...the screen just goes blank and it seems like

the booting process just stalls. And the screen just stays blank.

Thanks,

• Downvote 1

read our wiki the link is above....

Hi,

I followed the Wiki and using the Hackme installer method to make a USB Stick, with the D820 Nvidia Package I got the same result.

With -x -v and or CPUS=1 -x -v It seems like it gets to the point where it is about to load the graphics and the screen goes blank and the it seems like there is no action coming from the USB stick at all.

Any help would be greatly appreiceated. :)

Thanks,

IamSam