E6420 research thread

Stork

I have a problem with Yosemite installation on E6420. After preparing USB disk using this guide, I connected it to the laptop and boot Installer with '-v -f' flags. A lot of diagnostic information were displayed Read HFS+ file: and... reboot. Installer isn't able to boot. First I thought, I forgot to add MBR fix or added wrong kernel, but adding them didn't made any difference. I'm guessing, reboot was caused by Kernel Panic, but I ran out of ideas, what is causing KP... Maybe somebody had a similar problem?

• Moderators

Don't use MBR unless you already have Windows on MBR and wanted to dual boot. You can still dual boot with GUID for Windows 7 64bit SP1 and up.

Kernel, make sure to the regular kernel, not the haswell Kernel.

And lastly, choose the correct DSDT for your config and rename it to DSDT.aml. 

Looking at your signature, you should select DSDT-nvs.aml

Thank you for answer. I have new (not used) HDD, so either MBR or UEFI is fine. I checked and corrected configuration as you advised, but bios wasn't able to boot USB disk in UEFI. I had to manually (F12) boot it legacy, just to find that it didn't helped... Maybe do you have other ideas?

Oh, my mistake, I was checking 2.3 from your guide. SVN2538 was able to boot Installer.

Right now I have a problem with LVDS screen. Yosemite simply do not recognize screen. If I connect monitor via HDMI, I see, that installation has been successful. The thing is, I was able to install using LVDS screen, system is booting on LVDS and after boot it stopping recognizing it...