Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

Hi All!

Since I am new here, I would like to thank all involved first. Great forum and great work! My kudos!

And now, I already need some help. :)

I have an d430 with 1.33GHz and 2GB of RAM, Broadcom WiFi etc.

I was following the "how to install..." tutorial and it went without a glitch. Graphics, Sound, WiFi, Bonjour, etc. - all fine.

I did the next step and downloaded and installed the EDP. I had some troubles recompiling the .mkext file until I found out that ./edptool.command was working only if Extra folder was on my HD (I keep booting from USB stick and didn't alter the SL installation). After realized my error I was able to recompile the .mkext file and didn't see any errors doing so.

After the reboot my keyboard and trackpad were lost. I needed to attach external USB keyboard/mouse combo to be able to do anything.

Since I thought the dsdt and kexts are optimized for 10.6.6 I successfully installed the combo update.

I could use my keyboard in Chameleon, to select my boot drive.

SL boots fine and I don't see any further issues (still didn't install fixes for heating, sleep or sound) except the missing keyboard/trackpad. But this one is crucial.

What did I do wrong? Where do I need to start fixing this issue?

Many thanks!

Zep

• Administrators

grap the latest EDP from the forum under betas... and put it on your HD and use bootloader 665 :)

EDP 1.5 - rc6: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/130-edp-15-release-candidate-6-released/

Guide for doing new build: http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/wiki/900e4/How_to_do_a_new_build.html

//Leon

THX Leon!

But without those I wouldn't be able to run 10.6.6 anyways. So: been there, done that, have a T-Shirt. :)

Well, I did follow the guide meticulously. Hence, the bootloader or EDP themselves couldn't be the cause of the issue. The only logical thing was to look into the things I created myself. And that would be the .mkext combined driver out of the EDP.

Meanwhile I spent some time evaluating this. The only reasonable explanation was the PS2 kext, which manages I/O from KB/TP, is causing trouble. So, I rerun the the EDP script again and installed Voodoo's PS2 kext instead of Apple's. And my KB/TP are back! Strange, I read that few people here had some issues with Woodoo and switched back to Apple. I will try to use the correct kexts in Extensions folder (without combining them in a single .mkext file). There might have been a glitch in the compressing (compiling) process and driver might have been corrupted.

Now I have this one irking issue I would like to solve: I cannot see my battery status. And I cannot turn it on in energy preffs.

It's really a bad thing for a laptop: if you don't know how much power remains, you can just run out of juice in a wrong moment.

Any ideas?

THX!

Zep

while you still have the issue look in extra/ extentions is there a blue folder with the name "content" mixed with all the kext files? please check and post results..

Well, I kinda solved this issue by trial & error. But I still kept the /Extra folder on my stick.

Nope, no blue folder. Not in the original .zip, not in the config which failed me, nor in the version I run now.

Now I have this one irking issue I would like to solve: I cannot see my battery status. And I cannot turn it on in energy preffs.

It's really a bad thing for a laptop: if you don't know how much power remains, you can just run out of juice in a wrong moment.

OK. I tried both, Apple and Voodoo Battery kext, but to no avail. I still don't see the battery status or am able to enable it.

If I remember correctly, battery was shown after my first installation but disappeared right after I installed the EDP RC6.

Do you know what prevents battery status to be shown?

Are you using the native battery meter in OSX or the one from istat ?

Native. That's the one I had after the 1st installation.

Basically I didn't consider istat because I read a lot of comments on its inaccuracy. Also, I thought, if the system is not delivering the battery load status how could istat show it?