Dell Latitude E5520

sampoint

So I made this topic to see if we (owners) can make some hackintosh from our beloved E5520, HM65 Express Chipset

with full HD display, i5 2520m, 4gb ram, HD3000. there are wifi, esata, card reader, audio... to run!

Thanks anyone for your help!

I am asking this as an absolute begginer in hacking a tosh :D, but a mac user, thats why i like to have osx on my dell too, in case it works good!

Great.I have Dell latitude E5520 too.Here is the specifications for the lap top.

Processor: Intel Core i3-2330M (2.20GHz, 3Mb Cache, Dual Core)

Chipset: Mobile Intel HM65 Express Chipset

Display: 15.6†High Definition (1366x768) AntiGlare LED Backlit Display

Memory installed: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory (1x4096MB dimm)

Slots / Max memory: 2 DIMM memory slots, up to 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory

Hard Drive: 500Gb 2.5†SATA (7.200 rpm) Hard Disk Drive

Optical Drive: 8 x DVD+/-RW Drive

Video Controller: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000

Multimedia: High Quality Speakers; Stereo headphone/Microphone combo jack; Integrated, noise reducing array microphone; Integrated Full HD Camera with Microphone

Wireless: Dell Wireless 1501 (802.11 b/g/n 1x1) Mini Card

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth 3.0 Card

Network Card: Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Slots & Ports: 4 x USB 2.0 (1 USB/eSATA combo), VGA, HDMI, RJ-45, 1394 Connector, Docking Connector, Stereo Headphone/microphone, Memory card reader, 34 mm ExpressCard/SmartCard Reader

Battery: 6-Cell 60WHr LI-ION Primary Battery

Power Supply: Dell 65W AC Power Adaptor

Keyboard: Internal Qwerty Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard (number pad, antimicrobial)

Palmrest: Dual Point with Fingerprint Reader

I have gotten 10.8.2 running on the Dell Latitude E5520. I don't remember all of the steps I took to get it running because I worked on it between classes (I am a teacher) and did a little at a time over a weeklong period. I used the unifail+multifail method that I found outlined here. I don't have a DSDT, and I'm still a n00b at all this, so I don't know how to create or patch a DSDT or whatever it is you do with that. I know that to boot I have to have -v and cpus=1 as arguments, or I get KP. I also had to put in an Atheros wifi card (I don't remember the model, but it came out of an EEEPC 1005HAB and I knew it worked in OSX on that netbook), but since there are two card slots, I moved the Dell card to the other slot and put the Atheros card where the original one was. I'm not sure if the second slot was for a second wifi card, or if it was for a cellular card, but my wifi is working just fine. I haven't gotten the sound working correctly yet, either. I tried VoodooHDA 2.7.3 (I think), and it appeared to work at first, but the volume was always maxed out, even if I had it muted. I haven't tried anything else to fix that. I also haven't tried hooking it up to the projector in my room to see if it will mirror/extend the display, but I hope to do that soon. As a teacher with students who use both PCs and Macs, it would be nice to be able to let them present using the same software with which they completed assignments.

Hope this helps, at least some.

Ok, I've been fairly successful in getting the e5520 to run ML...

Other than a few issues (below) everything's working as it should, which i'll try to explain in this post.

NOT WORKING:

- button volume control (changes the indicator on screen but not the volume itself) plus several mic issues - fixed using this SOLUTION (included edited voodooHDA.kext) VoodooHDA.kext.zip

- multigestures on trackpad

- brightness doesn't want to stay put after screen turns on (comes on at maximum) fixed with new DSDT (included)

- card reader

- SD slot

- fingerprint scanner

- AVI output doesn't seem to work

- Mic input has serious gain issues... still fixing

Everything else is working.

First of all, just to clear this up, NATIVE wifi won't work. I went out and tried a few wifi adapters and found one that started up right away (believe it was from a Lenovo) but needed a kext (included in post just in case) to get power working right. From Sys Info:

WiFi

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x1089)

Firmware Version: Atheros 9285: 4.0.63.2-P2P

Relevant included kext: IO80211Family.kext.zip (!!! Not for the native wifi !!!!!!!!!!)

The procedure

Installed via bootable install USB

took out the drive, connected it to a working Mac OS, and from there:

installed multifail on the drive with user-DSDT option, VoodooHDA 2.7.3, SSDT for Sandy bridge

Edited the appleCPUpowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext (included, so just use them) so no nullCPUpowerManagement.kext needed

downloaded kexts for trackpad, battery, LAN (included)

deleted (from /system/library/extensions) all non-relevant video kexts (for ATI, Radeon, NV, GeForce, HD4000) and appleHDA.kext

installed all kexts (via kext wizard or kextbeast), repaired permissions, rebuilt cache

installed Chameleon and Chameleon Wizard into the drive (included my smbios.plist (MBP 8,1 def) and boot.plist (with relevant boot options) from /extra)

inserted DSDT (tailored it to the e5520 from a similar model) into the /extra folder

reinstalled drive back into the e5520 and booted up (bios boot optionn in legacy mode btw, not UEFI)

At this point it should be working so if there are any KPs try rebooting a few times, it might be a permission issue

Now the trick after getting the OS running is that after upgrading from 10.8 to 10.8.2 you'll have to delete all the video kexts and appleHDA again and I think reinstall the patched appleCPU kext

Plus, I've upgraded to 8GB RAM but this will not affect the DSDT in any way

I hope this helps,

enjoy your Dell Hackbook ;)

Dell e5520 files.zip

---UPDATE---

Extracted and patched DSDT for the e5520:

Dell Latitude E5520 DSDT.zip

Just got snow leopard working "semi" properly on my E5520 after a lot of trial and error.... The hardest part was getting past the install process.... I started by downloading the snow leopard install dmg... Having failed previously in an attempt to boot from an SL install DVD I decided to mount the dmg to an external hard drive this time... And I did so without touching a Mac... Instead I used Windows 7 and a program called TransMac, which worked flawlessly... Although because I didn't use an application like unifail or myhack to mount the DMG I now needed to find an adequite boot loader.. So I went the alternative rout, downloaded iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) and burnt it to a DVD... Booted on the first try using cpus=1 which is upsetting because I only have one of the four i5 cores at my disposal now, however this is my first hackintosh and up until now I haven't had much success So I'll cut my losses... The only issue I have now finding the correct kexts... I used multifail the first time around and completly ruined the entire install.. Everything seems to be in working order except the following....

1. Audio/ Sound

2. Trackpad.

3. Ethernet

4. Wireless

5. Boot process "booting without iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)"... keeping in mind as of now cpus=1 is needed to boot

Any help correcting these issues would be greatly apriciated, the ethernet and trackpad are the most important to me at the moment ... Thanks..

P.S. ....the e5520 is not equipped with a multitouch touchpad and therefor is not capable of multitouch Guestures so that issue can't be resolved. I'd be stoked to have use of my trackpad period

Just got snow leopard working "semi" properly on my E5520 after a lot of trial and error.... The hardest part was getting past the install process.... I started by downloading the snow leopard install dmg... Having failed previously in an attempt to boot from an SL install DVD I decided to mount the dmg to an external hard drive this time... And I did so without touching a Mac... Instead I used Windows 7 and a program called TransMac, which worked flawlessly... Although because I didn't use an application like unifail or myhack to mount the DMG I now needed to find an adequite boot loader.. So I went the alternative rout, downloaded iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) and burnt it to a DVD... Booted on the first try using cpus=1 which is upsetting because I only have one of the four i5 cores at my disposal now, however this is my first hackintosh and up until now I haven't had much success So I'll cut my losses... The only issue I have now finding the correct kexts... I used multifail the first time around and completly ruined the entire install.. Everything seems to be in working order except the following....

1. Audio/ Sound

2. Trackpad.

3. Ethernet

4. Wireless

5. Boot process "booting without iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)"... keeping in mind as of now cpus=1 is needed to boot

Any help correcting these issues would be greatly apriciated, the ethernet and trackpad are the most important to me at the moment ... Thanks..

P.S. ....the e5520 is not equipped with a multitouch touchpad and therefor is not capable of multitouch Guestures so that issue can't be resolved. I'd be stoked to have use of my trackpad period

Have you read my post (the previous one)? It should have some ideas as to the issues you are stating.

BTW why Snow Leopard? ML has broader support for recent hardware than SL. I would recommend ML (or at least Lion)

PS

The Dell E5520 has multitouch support. I used it on Windows 8 prior to installing Mac on it (for Win requires a driver from the Dell site)

For Retina-like resolution:

in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES;

// by the way, you need to logout and log back in for this to take effect.

// P.S. Go to [Apple menu --> System Preferences --> Displays --> Display --> Scaled] after logging

// back in, and you'll see a bunch of "HiDPI" resolutions in the list to choose from.

from https://gist.github.com/3191869

PS

I set mine to "960x540 (HiDPI)"

Have you read my post (the previous one)? It should have some ideas as to the issues you are stating.

BTW why Snow Leopard? ML has broader support for recent hardware than SL. I would recommend ML (or at least Lion)

PS

The Dell E5520 has multitouch support. I used it on Windows 8 prior to installing Mac on it (for Win requires a driver from the Dell site)

I've tried to make an ML install a few times recently with no success... First time using my hack and the second using unifail... Tried to boot using cpus=1 as it worked with the prior SL install but it didn't get past the apple boot logo... I'm using the ML Installesd.dmg not the application. If you can provide me with an alternative install or a proper boot flag option it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ps... I got the latitude second hand and reinstalled window when I got it. Had no knowledge of the multitouch driver. good to know