Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

For sleep, I used the Sleepenabler.kext for 10.8 posted by Tengokuu in this very thread and changed the hibernatemode to 0 (as well as reclaiming 4 GB back from the system!)...

First, I removed the sleepimage file which is used for Safe Sleep in OSX. Basically, Safe Sleep saves the state your computer was in before sleeping to the hard drive in the sleepimage file. By disabling Safe Sleep, I got faster sleep/wake times, and the system slept and woke up on lid close/open!

In order to remove the sleepimage file, disable Safe Sleep, and hopefully get your sleep to work on lid close, run the following commands in Terminal:

Remove sleepimage from your system:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Change the hibernatemode to 0/Disable Safe Sleep:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

To check that the hibernatemode truly is 0/Safe Sleep really is disabled:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

You will have to input your password after entering the first line. If you haven't used sudo before, when you enter your password, you won't see anything happen on the screen. Make sure you type your password in correctly.

Also, the amount of space you get back from OS X by removing the sleepimage file will depend on how much RAM you have instlaled in your computer. Ex. if you have 2GB installed, your sleepimage file will only be 2GB and therefore you will only get 2GB back when you delete it.

Hope this works for anyone else with sleep issues!

• Like 1

:D Two posts in a row!

Since I've joined this forum and toyed around with bootpacks, it seems to me that a 'bootpack' is just the /Extra/ folder with the perfect configuration to make the system tick.

I've also noticed that many people are having trouble with the bootpacks and so I wanted to upload my very own, unofficial E6400 bootpack!

E6400 Unofficial Bootpack.zip

Edit: Sorry about the boot image; it was a joke I was playing on a friend...

I just reuploaded the one with the normal one. For the 6 people that have already downloaded it, you can find the boot.old.png in /Extra/Themes. Just delete the boot.png and rename boot.old.png to boot.png...again, I"m really sorry about that!

Note that in order to have an almost perfectly working system, you will have to refer to Darvinko's first post/guide at the beginning of this thread to install the kexts that belong in System/Library/Extensions and install the OS in general. This bootpack is what works for me; everyone's configuration is a little bit different, so if it doesn't work for you, it's not the end of the world...

• Like 1

:D Two posts in a row!

Since I've joined this forum and toyed around with bootpacks, it seems to me that a 'bootpack' is just the /Extra/ folder with the perfect configuration to make the system tick.

I've also noticed that many people are having trouble with the bootpacks and so I wanted to upload my very own, unofficial E6400 bootpack!

Note that in order to have an almost perfectly working system, you will have to refer to Darvinko's first post/guide at the beginning of this thread to install the kexts that belong in System/Library/Extensions and install the OS in general. This bootpack is what works for me; everyone's configuration is a little bit different, so if it doesn't work for you, it's not the end of the world...

patel4prez,

Could you please let us know what hardware you have in your computer and what other kexts you put in S/L/E?

Also for noobs like me, what exactly did you do to get sleep to work?

Thanks,

CP

patel4prez,

Could you please let us know what hardware you have in your computer and what other kexts you put in S/L/E?

Also for noobs like me, what exactly did you do to get sleep to work?

Thanks,

CP

My configuration is exactly what is below:

2.54 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 761 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256 MB

A32 BIOS (This could be a reason why some may be having trouble; A32 is the latest one...)

I don't have a wifi card yet, but the IO80211Family.kext in the my bootpack should work for those who have a 1510...

Also, bluetooth doesn't work for me, and I don't know why.

Off the top of my head (I don't have the machine with me right now), I think the only other kexts that went in S/L/E are:

VoodooHDA.kext (2.7.3 with all fixes applied: Volume Change, Mute, Half Mic, Half Volume; 2.7.4 didn't work for me (kept kernel panicing)

Edited Nvidia kexts (NVDAResman, NVDANV50.kext, GeForce.kext)

IOPCIFamily.kext from Netkas

Rolled back AppleACPIPlatform kext from Lion (I know everyone says I don't need it, but I need it :) )

AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

I'll try and make another S/L/E bootpack with those later...

EDIT: The above list should be everything that is in my SLE folder. Below is a pack of all of them.

SLE.zip

I did exactly what I wrote in the post above the one I wrote with the bootpack :)

I'm using the e6400 boot pack so do I need to delete one of the apple kext first before adding the null one?

If you're talking about NullCPUManagement.kext, I (personally) would just delete everything under /Extra/Extensions and use Kext Wizard to install everything from my /Extra/Extensions (but ONLY if you have the same/similar configuration I do)

4 GB 761 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

A32 BIOS (This could be a reason why some may be having trouble; A32 is the latest one...)

I don't have a wifi card yet, but the IO80211Family.kext in the my bootpack should work for those who have a 1510...

Off the top of my head (I don't have the machine with me right now), I think the only other kexts that went in S/L/E are:

VoodooHDA.kext (2.7.3 with all fixes applied: Volume Change, Mute, Half Mic, Half Volume; 2.7.4 didn't work for me (kept kernel panicing)

Rolled back AppleACPIPlatform kext from Lion (I know everyone says I don't need it, but I need it :) )

AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

EDIT: The above list should be everything that is in my SLE folder. Below is a pack of all of them.

SLE.zip

I did exactly what I wrote in the post above the one I wrote with the bootpack :)

If you're talking about NullCPUManagement.kext, I (personally) would just delete everything under /Extra/Extensions and use Kext Wizard to install everything from my /Extra/Extensions (but ONLY if you have the same/similar configuration I do)

Thanks so much for doing this; I appreciate the effort.

I will do this and get back to you.

CP

4 GB 761 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

SLE.zip

Patel4Prez, You bring up a very good point, which I didn't take into consideration when writing the guide or responding to members. Obviously, you want to be at the latest BIOS for your system and updating your BIOS has an impact on your DSDT.aml. All along, based on my thinking that, because of the almost identical specs, the E6400 and E6500 are pretty much the same. When you brought up the fact that you were at the lastest BIOS (A32), I remembered I was at A27. When I looked to find the lastest update for my E6500, I found out, Surprise, I was at the latest, A27. Because, of this, there are going to be some differences in the machines ability to utilize some of these kexts, something I didn't take into account when responding to questions about the E6400. Thank You.

Thanks so much for doing this; I appreciate the effort.

I will do this and get back to you.

CP

Patel4Prez, You bring up a very good point, which I didn't take into consideration when writing the guide or responding to members. Obviously, you want to be at the latest BIOS for your system and updating your BIOS has an impact on your DSDT.aml. All along, based on my thinking that, because of the almost identical specs, the E6400 and E6500 are pretty much the same. When you brought up the fact that you were at the lastest BIOS (A32), I remembered I was at A27. When I looked to find the lastest update for my E6500, I found out, Surprise, I was at the latest, A27. Because, of this, there are going to be some differences in the machines ability to utilize some of these kexts, something I didn't take into account when responding to questions about the E6400. Thank You.

No problem guys...

Please do let me know if that works for you, CypressPearl.

First off I just want to say thanks to all of you guys for your efforts. Heres what I've come up with. I have a nearly perfect install now, the biggest thing I found was installing each kext one at a time and running my fix to avoid panics. I've had it near perfect a few times following the guide in the beginning of this post, but never could get sleep to work. Now I have sleep working, in order to do that I had to delete both yes I had two appleintelcpupowermanagment.kext from S/L/E and add the NullCPUManagement.kext then running my fix, next i added sleepenabler.kext using kexthelper next i repaired permissions and rebooted. After rebooting i followed patel4prez's guide he wrote to remove sleep image and change hibernate. That got my sleep working very nicely with the lid. Now I'm going to install aperture and iWork and try updating those, hopefully all will go well.

Couple of notes and question.

Question Every time I run my fix from inside the operating system it take 30 to 45min to complete it use to only take 5 maybe 10. But if i boot into the osx installer and run my fix on / It would only take 5 maybe 10 min, this if what i did for most of the kext installs.

Also I use to be able to use the M4300 boot pack no problem just didnt have all the mouse or power button options, but now I get a black screen when trying to install with that boot pack weird. The modified E6400 boot pack worked well.

One final question I'm currently on BIOS A29 should i flash to the newest BIOS or leave it alone? I think I was acually on A20 when I was not having a problem using the M4300 Boot Pack.

Thank's Again to you all, I hope I can help other's half as much as you all have helped me.

Hey guys,

I realized that I had included a boot image of a random guy by accident (it was a joke I was playing on a friend). Sorry!

I just reuploaded the bootpack with the normal one (you can find it in my post on the previous page)

For the 6 people that have already downloaded it, you can find the boot.old.png in /Extra/Themes. Just delete the boot.png and rename boot.old.png to boot.png...again, I"m really sorry about that!