Mountain Lion on E6400 in 5 Steps!

DaFOB

First, this post is in no way taking away from Darvinko's post here.

That thread did an amazing job figuring out how to get ML on the E6400. This is merely my way of installing ML on the E6400 in just 5 steps. It's quick and easy with no manual copying/overwriting of files. This was tested on an E6400 and M4400 (both with nVidia graphics) but will most likely work on the E6500.

These instructions assume you know the basics of using myHack and the OSX installation process.

Credits go to Darvinko, Tengokuu, Patel4Prez, CypressPearl, Conti (myHack), Mariusz and any others I've forgotten.

Prerequisites: Mountain Lion, myHack, 8GB USB stick, access to an existing OSX install (to prepare files), and patience

1. Extract attached Extra.zip file, which is both the bootpack and Extra folder.
2. Use myHack to create the USB installer.
3. Run myHack again and choose "Install Extra". Point to the USB drive as the destination, and choose "use my own" and point to the folder that you extracted in step 1.
4. Boot from USB and install Mountain Lion
5. Near the end of the installation, myHack will ask for the Extras folder. Again, choose "use my own" and point to the Extra folder on the USB installer.

Sleep should work natively with the included DSDT.aml file (posted by Mariusz), but must set hibernatemode to 0 in terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

If sleep still doesn't work, then you can try SleepEnabler.

I didn't include the IO80211Family.kext because my wireless card worked with the DSDT out of the box, but if your wireless doesn't work then you can install the modified IO80211Family.kext in the other thread.

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. Power Management - Fans constantly on and CPU runs hotter than usual.  Some users have reported partial power management using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

2. Shutdown/Restart may work sometimes, but other times it could either stall or kick you back to the login screen. Only way to shutdown is to hold power button.

3. Sleep/Wake - Some users report that sleep doesn't work (especially if using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext).  Some report that sleep works but can't wake screen back up.  A few report success using SleepEnabler.  I've had luck with Sleep working with just the DSDT.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPDATING TO 10.8.3 from 10.8.2:

NOTE: you may not need these files as others such as Darvinko were able to update successfully.  But it doesn't hurt to update the nVidia kexts... better safe than sorry.

1. Download the Combo update and the NVIDIA.zip below

2. Extract the contents of NVIDIA.zip to /Extra/Extensions/, overwriting the previous files

3. Install the Combo update, but DO NOT REBOOT when it finishes

4. Run myHack -> myFix (choose full fix)

5. Reboot and pray :D

EDIT (9/20/2012): updated Extra.zip with new edited nVidia kexts for 10.8.2.

EDIT (3/13/2013): removed VooodooPowerMini.kext from Extra.zip

EDIT (3/15/2013): updated Extra.zip with new edited nVidia kexts for 10.8.3; added NVIDIA.zip as a separate package for those that are updating to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2.

Extra.zip

NVIDIA.zip

• Like 1

Outstanding job on condensing this and I feel in no way slighted. The other post was a work in progress and an effort to show how things are accomplished collectively as well as an how-to opportunity to demonstrate how to edit kexts, etc. for members who were not familiar with how to do so. I feel I learned from that opportunity and I Thank You for your contributions to it. When I get the time I will slap a spare HDD in my E6500 and confirm this works for those also.

Trying this out right now. It currently appears to be working as I managed to get to the installer screen and it's installing now. Using the E6400 in my signature except with a 250 gig hard drive (others are 2x 160 GB, one with Win7 and one with Xubuntu and a 100 gig with Lion).

Edit: End of install said Install Failed, restarted anyways and during loading in verbose mode I have a bunch of "Disk0s2 I/O error" messages, probably failing hard drive which wouldn't actually surprise me. Time for the 500 gig...tomorrow, I should have been in bed a long time ago because of school :/.

Edit 2:

Did an install on a 500 gig drive and my E6400 is now up and running with Mountain Lion, I haven't yet tested sleep or bluetooth, I just disabled Bluetooth as I own nothing except a crappy PDA keyboard that uses it and I haven't gotten to sleep tests yet.

Edit 3:

Typing this from the laptop itself, I believe the command for disabling hibernation is "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" as that one was accepted and yours returned a sytax error. Going to reboot and try out sleep now.

Edit 4:

Sleep does work, kind of. The system will go to sleep easily, come back out however the trackpad doesn't work until I reboot. I don't have a USB mouse around that wouldn't require digging behind my desk for my desktop's mouse cord so I can't tell you if it's just the trackpad or mouse support all together.

Trying this out right now. It currently appears to be working as I managed to get to the installer screen and it's installing now. Using the E6400 in my signature except with a 250 gig hard drive (others are 2x 160 GB, one with Win7 and one with Xubuntu and a 100 gig with Lion).

Edit: End of install said Install Failed, restarted anyways and during loading in verbose mode I have a bunch of "Disk0s2 I/O error" messages, probably failing hard drive which wouldn't actually surprise me. Time for the 500 gig...tomorrow, I should have been in bed a long time ago because of school :/.

Edit 2:

Did an install on a 500 gig drive and my E6400 is now up and running with Mountain Lion, I haven't yet tested sleep or bluetooth, I just disabled Bluetooth as I own nothing except a crappy PDA keyboard that uses it and I haven't gotten to sleep tests yet.

Edit 3:

Typing this from the laptop itself, I believe the command for disabling hibernation is "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" as that one was accepted and yours returned a sytax error. Going to reboot and try out sleep now.

Edit 4:

Sleep does work, kind of. The system will go to sleep easily, come back out however the trackpad doesn't work until I reboot. I don't have a USB mouse around that wouldn't require digging behind my desk for my desktop's mouse cord so I can't tell you if it's just the trackpad or mouse support all together.

You are correct about the command. Fixed the typo in the original post.

As for sleep, that's strange that your trackpad doesn't work on wake. I've tried it on 2 different E6400's and a Precision M4400 and don't have that issue. The issue I do have is that sometimes if I put the laptop to sleep after the first time, the screen may not wake and I have to manually power off. This is random, however. I could go w/ 6 sleep cycles and never see the problem, yet on reboot it could choke after the 2nd sleep cycle.

Mine dies right before the install page...just reboots by itself....any advice?

What configuration do you have (BT, WiFi, etc.)? What BIOS? Do you have the nVidia or Intel video chipset? Did you set your SATA mode to AHCI? Try disabling BT as others have suggested. I'm guessing it's something you have configured in the BIOS that's causing the boot loop. Or perhaps re-doing the USB installer using a different stick.

Also, if you boot w/ the -v switch, at what step does it die?

I'm having a similar problem on a desktop myself. I have two identical boards (ASUS P5W DH Deluxe) configured identically -- same processor, memory, HDD, BIOS settings, etc. One takes ML and works perfectly. The other goes through a boot loop and doesn't even get to the install screen like what you're describing. Can't for the life of me figure out why it works on one and not the other.

Doing a re-install now, I'll post the trackpad status of the trackpad after sleep when it's done. While installing Adobe CS5 today it slowed down, audio dropped in and out but no hard drive access. Upon reboot I got the awesome "Hard disk drive 0 not found blah blah blah" message and when listening, sure enough it had the click of death...

What is it with my bad laptop hard drive luck?

What configuration do you have (BT, WiFi, etc.)? What BIOS? Do you have the nVidia or Intel video chipset? Did you set your SATA mode to AHCI? Try disabling BT as others have suggested. I'm guessing it's something you have configured in the BIOS that's causing the boot loop. Or perhaps re-doing the USB installer using a different stick.

Also, if you boot w/ the -v switch, at what step does it die?

I'm having a similar problem on a desktop myself. I have two identical boards (ASUS P5W DH Deluxe) configured identically -- same processor, memory, HDD, BIOS settings, etc. One takes ML and works perfectly. The other goes through a boot loop and doesn't even get to the install screen like what you're describing. Can't for the life of me figure out why it works on one and not the other.

Check, check, check and check...

It's the same Laptop I installed 10.7.4 on, with a different HD.

Tried the -v and still, also tried -x -f npci=... GraphicsE..=... Nada....

It dies right as it is going to load the language selection screen....Seems to load the USB installer fine....I have tried 3 different ML...one from APP store, one from friend...one from torrent...

Thanks for your time...

Edited by locostar

Mine is crashing in the installer. After I select the drive and it starts the actual install. Are there any special bios settings that I need? I am using the a32 bios.

(outside of the ones mentioned in the post above)

This happend to me on my Lion install...The loader works fine, you might have a bad image/MAC OS installer.

I created a USB using a different image (Disk from neighbor My appstore version was corrupt) and it worked fine.

I kept getting the error log screen. If you don't mind me asking...Where did you get the image from...Appstore?

Hope this helps...