Make bootable USB installer from Windows

censor

• Administrators

You can't from a Win base, you need a Mac or a Hack. But there are ways to circumvent that issue with bootable CD installer like ModCD that will allow you to install legacy-kernel SL. That can then be used as a temp platform from which myHack can be run...

You can't from a Win base, you need a Mac or a Hack. But there are ways to circumvent that issue with bootable CD installer like ModCD that will allow you to install legacy-kernel SL. That can then be used as a temp platform from which myHack can be run...

Can you point me in the direction of the ModCD? I've been trying to work with a friend who has a Mac running Snow Leopard, but he's somewhat less that reliable in terms of getting me the usb drive with the MyHack set up. So I'm hoping to get a temporary set up, run the MyHack and then reinstall with the method outlined on this site.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Can you point me in the direction of the ModCD? I've been trying to work with a friend who has a Mac running Snow Leopard, but he's somewhat less that reliable in terms of getting me the usb drive with the MyHack set up. So I'm hoping to get a temporary set up, run the MyHack and then reinstall with the method outlined on this site.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I purchased VMWare Workstation 8 and installed that, then downloaded a pre-made 10.8 image and ran it in VMWare. Then I pulled the hard drive from my Latitude D520 and hooked it up to my desktop running the pre-made OS X image. Once the computer was fired up, I ran the VMWare image and mounted the laptop drive as a physical drive in VMWare, allowing me to work with it in Mac OS X 10.8.

I partitioned it, installed the MyHack installer to the small partition, and booted right from the hard drive to install OS X on my D520. Thats one way to do it. If you need more specifics, let me know. I'll write up a quick guide to do this.

Another way involves DD for windows and a bit of command line knowledge, but it is definitely possible to build a bootable OS X installer in Windows. (You'll need to pay for TransMac or use the 14 day trial to accomplish this!)

• Administrators

@Dantes: for the Nawcom's ModCD/ModUSB method:

1) download ModCD or ModUSB off Nawcom's blog:

ModCD -> http://nawcom.com/osx86/ModCD/

ModUSB -> http://nawcom.com/osx86/ModUSB

2a) ModCD is a small image that you burn on a CD/DVD that you can then boot to install Snow Leopard off a retail DVD or a USB key that contains the restored image of the retail SL media (unless that key is obtainable off Apple, you need access to a Mac to create it!).

2b) ModUSB is a Mac package (so you need a Mac) that you install on a USB key that contains the restored image of retail SL, so that you can boot off that key directly, without the need of the ModCD.

3) proceed with installation (based on legacy kernel) as usual, having hopefully copied the bootpack's DSDT table to /Extra on the USB key.

However, if you have access to a friend's Mac, I can only encourage you to proceed with the myHack method directly. It's a much better way, a direct one too!

@Dantes: for the Nawcom's ModCD/ModUSB method:

1) download ModCD or ModUSB off Nawcom's blog:

ModCD -> http://nawcom.com/osx86/ModCD/

ModUSB -> http://nawcom.com/osx86/ModUSB

2a) ModCD is a small image that you burn on a CD/DVD that you can then boot to install Snow Leopard off a retail DVD or a USB key that contains the restored image of the retail SL media (unless that key is obtainable off Apple, you need access to a Mac to create it!).

2b) ModUSB is a Mac package (so you need a Mac) that you install on a USB key that contains the restored image of retail SL, so that you can boot off that key directly, without the need of the ModCD.

3) proceed with installation (based on legacy kernel) as usual, having hopefully copied the bootpack's DSDT table to /Extra on the USB key.

However, if you have access to a friend's Mac, I can only encourage you to proceed with the myHack method directly. It's a much better way, a direct one too!

Unfortunately my friend isn't reliable. I've been waiting more than a month for him to get this done. I'm just frustrated with not being able to get this set up so I'm trying to find a work around. I'll give this a shot to see if I can get it set up enough to create the myHack usb drive and then go back to this method once I have that.

Thanks.