Dell Vostro 200 - Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks

Hervé

• Administrators

Credits & thanks to BronxTeck and those folks who initially documented the now-obsolete ATI Radeon X1300 fix (Azimutz, Brent Anderson, etc.).
Research done on Vostro 200 SlimTower model, as pictured below.

Vostro200ST.JPG

Vostro200ST_front.jpg Vostro200ST_FrontPorts.jpg Vostro200ST_rear.jpg Vostro200ST_side.jpg
Vostro200ST_BT-MouseKbd.jpg Vostro200ST_BT-KbdMMButtons.jpg Vostro200ST_BT-Mouse.jpg Vostro200ST_BT-Dongle.jpg

Target OS X releases:

• Snow Leopard 10.6.8 -> done
  • Lion 10.7.5 -> done
  • Mountain Lion 10.8.2 -> done

I successfully installed SL 10.6.8 / Lion 10.7.5 / ML 10.8.2 with myHack 3.1.2 on that system and it's 99% fully functional.

Vostro200s_SL1068.JPG

Vostro200_ST_Lion1075.JPG

Vostro200st_ML1082.JPG

The specs:

• Foxconn G33M02 motherboard
  • modded/unlocked Award BIOS 1.0.16, supporting HDD AHCI mode selection (see www.bios-mods.com). It also works with standard BIOS with HDD set on RAID mode.
  • Intel G33 chipset
  • Integrated Intel GMA 3100 graphics (totally unsupported in Mac OS X, a supported PCIe card must be used)
  • Intel C2D E8600 3.33GHz FSB-1333MHz CPU
  • 4Go DDR2-800 RAM
  • Intel 82562V-2 10/100Mb built-in Ethernet
  • Realtek ALC888 audio (7.1)
  • ATI Radeon Pro X1300/X1550 (RV516 chip) 256MB graphics card (low-profile, fanless, 1 DVI dual-link + 1 S-Video). PCI dev id=0x7183.
  • TEAC CA200 internal-USB 19-in-1 card reader
  • Dell-branded Logitech wireless keyboard + mouse (bluetooth with USB BT dongle as pictured above)

Status at 06Jan is as follows:
Working:

• ATI Radeon X1300 card is unsupported by standard Chameleon 2.1 branch, however GraphicsEnabler branch from Azimutz supports 'legacy' ATI injection ('ATiGraphicsEnabler.Dylib' in /Extra/modules + various 'boot' files to choose from (depending on HDD partitions arrangements) - many thanks Azimutz!). Latest release (v2.1 r1515 at time of writing) does support ATI X1300 with dev id 0x7183.
  • full QE/CI with ATI X1300 achieved under SL (with EVOenabler kext for ATI X1000 series (patched plist to reflect exact card model) + ATI X1000 series kexts (patched with dev id). All resolutions from 640*480 to 1680*1050 are available and working on my 20" widescreen LCD. It's work-in-progress under Lion.
  • 64bit kernel mode under SL supported thanks to Chameleon ATI injection
  • wireless (bluetooth) keyboard + mouse work OOB. The multimedia buttons even work too!
  • audio (with VoodooHDA kext)
  • built-in Ethernet (with AppleIntelE1000 or Intel82566MM kext, provided it holds dev id 0x10c08086 in the plist, otherwise, patch kext)
  • TEAC card-reader works OOB. Tested with SD + xD + Sony ProDuo + SmartMedia cards
  • SpeedStep @2.0/2.33/2.67/3.0/3.33GHz  (with EDP emulated-SpeedStep)
  • display sleep/wake (sleeps Ok through active corner or energy savings setup)
  • system sleep/wake (wake to be confirmed, because I have doubts), with apparent wake from keyboard and/or mouse click/move fully supported

Not working:

• display does not appear to wake from computer sleep; screen stays off

Obviously, this PC will need a different and supported graphics card for ML, the current one being limited to full resolution (here 1680x1050x32) w/o acceleration in the absence of 64bit ATI X1000 kexts... Low-profile passive/fanless nVidia GeForce GT610 (or GT620?) appears suitable candidate.

NB:

• all initial OS X installations done with myHack + generic Extra folder and no DSDT table. DSDT patching was required afterwards for system tuning (shutdown/restart, HDD icons, etc.).
  • regular Vostro 200 MiniTower should work just the same or better: it has same motherboard and, taking full size expansion/add-on boards, can support a much wider choice of graphics cards.

Vostro200MT.JPG 

- - - - - - - - - -
Edit #1: 8 Jan 2013
. following DSDT table extraction and patching with BronxTeck's assistance, system now shuts down properly.
. got computer to sleep & (apparently) wake by taking out NullCPUPowerManagement + SleepEnabler kexts that I had installed by default

- - - - - - - - - -
Edit #2: 9 Jan 2013
. after tuning of ATI Radeon X1300 graphics kext, display sleep was confirmed operational. Can be activated through active corner. Display wakes without issue on mouse move/click or keystroke.

- - - - - - - - - -
Edit #3: 11 Jan 2013
. validated update to SL 10.6.8 from 10.6.3. All Ok with usual ACPI kext replacement.
. tuned-up ATI Radeon X1300 graphics under SL -> full QE/CI now 100% operational. Details here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1579-lion-1074-on-dell-optiplex-755-with-radeon-x1300-128-mb/page-2? (please note that dual-display setup was not tested and probably requires EDID tuning in EVOEnabler kext).
. 64bit kernel supported and tested under SL, all thanks to Chameleon ATI injection.
. full QE/CI under Lion is on-going. At present, only resolutions is supported (through standard ATI framebuffer).

. DSDT table fine-tuning on-going, I'm hoping to find a fix for Wake issue soon.
. Model added to EDP (without any specific graphics support for Lion and ML).

- - - - - - - - - -
Edit #4: 20 Jan 2013
. validated update to ML 10.8.2 from 10.8. All Ok, straight update.
. audio Ok (with VoodoHDA 10.8.1), SpeedStep Ok, card reader Ok, only graphics were limited as expected due to unsupported card.
. full QE/CI under Lion is now being investigated with RadeonHD alternative. More to follow on this in due course.

. no progress to date on DSDT final tuning.

- - - - - - - - - -
Edit #5: 17 Feb 2013
. further to introduction of EDP5.0 and release of Chameleon r2181, ATI Radeon X1300 card appears supported with just the patched kexts under SL10.6.8; no need of Azimutz's branch boot file + ATI module any more. No impact to 64bit kernel mode operation.

• Like 2

• Administrators

To install OS X on the Vostro 200, proceed with the following OSXL procedure:

1. create myHack USB installer and apply Generic bootpack (= Generic /Extra)
  2. download Vostro 200 bootpack and save in dedicated directory
  3. boot installer with boot option "GraphicEnabler=No", install OS X (SL/Lion/ML) and apply Generic bootpack
  4. reboot with boot option "GraphicsEnabler=No" and complete the initial OS X installation
  5. install latest OS X combo update (SL 10.6.8 / L 10.7.5 / ML 10.8.2 at time of writing)
  6. using myFix -> Create Extra, install Vostro 200 bootpack and reboot
  7. download & install EDP, then launch EDP from /Extra folder
  8. do system build for Vostro 200 using pre-defined settings
  9. reboot to your finalised Mac OS X installation

Enjoy your hackintoshed Vostro 200!

Report any issue or pop any question in the Support section.

- - - - - - - - - -

Edit #1: 17 Feb 2013

. following feedback, updated procedure to take into account EDP5 modifications

• Administrators

Got a low-profile Twintech nVidia GeForce GT610 2GB-DDR3 (Fermi GF119) and put it in the Vostro, using the 2 low-profile rear brackets. The card works OOB with Lion (10.7.5) and ML (10.8.3) with full QE/CI. No specific kexts or patching required. Too easy!

http://www.twintech3d.com/en/products_features.asp?num=322
TT-GT610-2GD3E-HDMI.jpg GT610_LP_RearBrackets.jpg

In addition to its low profile form factor, one of the reasons for buying that card was that it was advertised as passive/fanless. The card I actually received is fitted with a very small fan (smaller than shown on above picture) on the heatsink. I was concerned this may be a problem for the small power supply of the computer (the card box says 300W min. when the Vostro's PS is only 250W), but no, all appears Ok so far (touch wood, it'll stay that way). The card is very quiet too and its fan cannot be heard over the Vostro's own fans.

Vostro200_10.7.5_NV-GT610.jpg

Vostro200_10.8.3_NV-GT610.jpg

The card does not work with Snow Leopard, it looks like native support for this Fermi card only got introduced in late Lion and early ML versions.

:excl: Remember to remove ATI1300Controller + EVOenabler kexts from /Extra/Extensions if you do not run SL with Dell ATI X1300 graphics card; these 2 kexts should only be used in that particular context (Snow Leopard + Dell ATI X1300 card.)

• Administrators

Did some tests with the Kozlek's FakeSMC kext + HWMonitor app as published in Web site article. I obtained similar results as with my D630 nVidia laptop, i.e. native SpeedStep + discrete graphics card GPU monitoring.

This removes the need for PState kext & launcher, IntelCPUMonitor kext; even the VoodooTSCSync kext can be removed.

I've been experimenting with MBP5,1 (SMC key 1.33f8) profile to start with as it's now a known good basis to verify behaviour. Then tested  iMac8,1 (1.30f1), iMac9,1 (1.30f3) and iMac10,1 (1.53f13) profiles. All give good native SpeedStep and GPU throttling between 270Mhz and 810MHz. I saw no throttling at all for GPU RAM: it's always shown at 405MHz.

After thorough testing, I found iMac10,1 settings (smc-mcp/1.53f13) appeared to give best clocking results overall.

FakeSMC_1.53f13.kext.zip smbios_iMac10.1.plist.zip HWMonitor.zip

- - - - - - - - - -

Edit #1: 15 Aug 2013

. Updated post with SMC key & SMBIOS details, kext/app versions and copies of files. Now using FakeSMC v5.2.678 (compiled 32/64bit mode).

• Administrators

Retail/mainstream Mavericks 10.9 running perfectly after a fresh re-installation.

Vostro200_10.9Build603.jpg

Complete fresh ML 10.8 & Mav 10.9 installations can be made with myHack3.3.1 + attached boot pack. This caters for full built-in hardware, including LAN and audio, so EDP may not be required. For other hardware and add-on graphics card, deal as required. Also includes revised DSDT (of Inspiron 530s origin from InsanelyMac) that fully supports Sleep & Wake. System is now 100% operational.

Vostro200ST_ML-Mav_bootpack.zip

• Like 1