d630 install halts on file read

Godrifle

I have a 8GB thumb drive with Mac OS 10.6 installed, which I've previously used successfully to hack a 620 (woot).

Now, I'm trying to do the same for a 630 with nVidia, 3GB ram, BIOS A17 using this same thumb drive.

I've download the most recent bootpack for the 630 w/nVidia and added the Extras to the thumb drive using myHack 3.2. I've set up the BIOS per instructions here, and disabled Wi-Fi in BIOS (because it's Intel).

The bootloader works perfectly. When I invoke -v option, it loads:

Loading Darwin 10.6

Loading kernel /mach_kernel

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 4096 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 7440004 bytes.

and then it just halts with no further message.

Any hints as to what might be the issue? 

Is is possibly related to re-using my thumbdrive from the 620 install (even though I reinstalled the correct boot pack)?

Is it possibly related to me using an HD from a real Apple MacBook?

Thanks in advance for any help you might give me!

• Administrators
The latest bootpacks are hosed.

????

Says who? Non sense!

You just have to update your Chameleon boot loader to v2.1 R2170 (or later) on that USB key or remove the NVRAM module from /Extra/modules.

????

Says who? Non sense!

You just have to update your Chameleon boot loader to v2.1 R2170 (or later) on that USB key or remove the NVRAM module from /Extra/modules.

Thanks. I created a ML installer, removed the NVRAM module and I'm rocking it. BUT -- I had disabled the wi-fi in BIOS. After I installed, I swapped out the Intel card with a broadcom card from my working 620 hackintosh. Re-enabled wifi in BIOS, but no love in the OS. I reran the EDP but no love there either. Tips?

What WiFi card? Broadcom 4311, 4312, 4315, etc...

Some Broadcom cards require you to remove IO80211Family.kext and install Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext instead into /System/Library/Extensions.

Alternatively, you can remove 80211Family.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and move IONetworkingFamily.kext into /Extra/Extensions and then instal Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext into /Extra/Extensions and it will work the exact same.

What WiFi card? Broadcom 4311, 4312, 4315, etc...

Some Broadcom cards require you to remove IO80211Family.kext and install Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext instead into /System/Library/Extensions.

Alternatively, you can remove 80211Family.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and move IONetworkingFamily.kext into /Extra/Extensions and then instal Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext into /Extra/Extensions and it will work the exact same.

Its the Dell DW1390. Not sure what Broadcom family that is.

The DW1390 is a 4311 card, and should be supported natively in Mountain Lion. Not sure why its not picking up. Have you looked in System Preferences>Networking and tried to create a new location?

Yes, I have. I've tried as suggest by bobdamnit, but no go. I've tried creating a new location, but the wifi isn't listed in the possible interface types. So, I guess tomorrow I'll put it back in the 620 just to make sure I didn't fry it in the process of moving it between the machines...

You can try downloading the Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext from the D520 guide I wrote up. Its in the D5X0 sub forum.

If you try it, be sure to remove IO80211Family.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and install Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext into /System/Library/Extensions.

• Administrators
Thanks. I created a ML installer, removed the NVRAM module and I'm rocking it. BUT -- I had disabled the wi-fi in BIOS. After I installed, I swapped out the Intel card with a broadcom card from my working 620 hackintosh. Re-enabled wifi in BIOS, but no love in the OS. I reran the EDP but no love there either. Tips?

Did you try to open up the Network Preference Panel and click on '+' button at the bottom of the window to add the card manually? Does it register in the System Profile (the card should be listed in PCI & Network)?