E6430 won't install

vclawson

• Moderators

DraKuL71,

There should be a Bootpack already made for this model. You can also follow this thread with instruction to get a fully working system.

What are the specs of your model?

By the way, thanks for the DSDT file for the E6520. Working nicely.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DraKuL71,

There should be a Bootpack already made for this model. You can also follow this thread with instruction to get a fully working system.

What are the specs of your model?

By the way, thanks for the DSDT file for the E6520. Working nicely.

Thanks again, Jake Lo, I'll check out that thread. The e6430 I'm working actually has an i5-3210m processor, not the i7 found in many of them. Unfortunately it does not have the discrete Nvidia card, just the Intel HD4000. 8GB, 320GB, BIOS on A11.

• Moderators
Thanks again, Jake Lo, I'll check out that thread. The e6430 I'm working actually has an i5-3210m processor, not the i7 found in many of them. Unfortunately it does not have the discrete Nvidia card, just the Intel HD4000. 8GB, 320GB, BIOS on A11.

Well, fortunately for you, with the Intel HD4000 graphics card, we were able to get sleep to work perfectly, but not with the discrete Nvidia card. You could use the Bootpack in the thread mentioned but don't include the SSDT as it's for my i5-3320M processor.

Well, fortunately for you, with the Intel HD4000 graphics card, we were able to get sleep to work perfectly, but not with the discrete Nvidia card. You could use the Bootpack in the thread mentioned but don't include the SSDT as it's for my i5-3320M processor.

I mis-spoke. I do have the i5-3320 CPU actually. I'm dealing with some strange issues getting the installer to start. No KP's or anything like that. Either the system reboots after all the kexts are read and processed, or the screen goes black when the installer is about to start. Minor issues to me that I expect to get past. I'm looking at the BIOS settings right now and trying different things.

If I can get this 6430 working as well or nearly as well as my 6520, I'm going to give back the 6520 and keep this one. It's a better performing system and most importantly, much lighter than the bulky 6520. Fingers crossed...

• Moderators
I mis-spoke. I do have the i5-3320 CPU actually. I'm dealing with some strange issues getting the installer to start. No KP's or anything like that. Either the system reboots after all the kexts are read and processed, or the screen goes black when the installer is about to start. Minor issues to me that I expect to get past. I'm looking at the BIOS settings right now and trying different things.

If I can get this 6430 working as well or nearly as well as my 6520, I'm going to give back the 6520 and keep this one. It's a better performing system and most importantly, much lighter than the bulky 6520. Fingers crossed...

Make sure to boot from the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0 port, it's known to not boot successfully to start the build. Of course make sure AHCI is enable too. Good luck.

It's installing now!

My system does not like the DSDT supplied in the bootpack or in the thread linked to above. With virtually everything else held constant, the system booted into the installer once I renamed the DSDT file. So I'll know soon how far I'll get with it. I might do what I did with the e6520 which was to start off by creating a vanilla DSDT and patching away as needed. We shall see...

Got 10.8 installed. Now the debugging and fixing modes start. Getting a strange one I haven't seen before: IOPluginUtil: Unknown CPU 0x3a (typing this from memory so it may not be exact). Also my graphics are shot so that will be fun getting to work. Detected as "Display 64MB of share memory" lol. 

Now I'm going to stick back that DSDT and start reading and trying things until this bad boy works like a champ.

This was by far the easiest OS X install I have ever done. Thanks almost entirely to the EDP and boot packs on this site. Never before had I seen a system go from limping and barely able to boot to fully functional after a single reboot. I was very impressed. 

Full graphics functionality including QE/CI, shutdown, restart, and even SLEEP. This is the first E series Latitude where the card reader actually works. The only quirky thing going on right now, which I believe is a minor problem, is that the internal display isn't working. This is a 1600x900 resolution screen so that might be the issue because many of these e6430's have the 1366x768 display. I added <key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x900x32</string> to org.chamelon.boot.plist but that didn't work. I keep them docked most of the time so this isn't a deal breaker just yet. I'll see if I can get this issue resolved. If anyone has encountered it or has any ideas, I'd like to hear them. Now I'm going to ComboUpdate it to 10.8.2....  :D

• Moderators

This was by far the easiest OS X install I have ever done. Thanks almost entirely to the EDP and boot packs on this site. Never before had I seen a system go from limping and barely able to boot to fully functional after a single reboot. I was very impressed. 

Full graphics functionality including QE/CI, shutdown, restart, and even SLEEP. This is the first E series Latitude where the card reader actually works. The only quirky thing going on right now, which I believe is a minor problem, is that the internal display isn't working. This is a 1600x900 resolution screen so that might be the issue because many of these e6430's have the 1366x768 display. I added Graphics Mode

1600x900x32 to org.chamelon.boot.plist but that didn't work. I keep them docked most of the time so this isn't a deal breaker just yet. I'll see if I can get this issue resolved. If anyone has encountered it or has any ideas, I'd like to hear them. Now I'm going to ComboUpdate it to 10.8.2....  :D

Which bootpack did you use and which thread were you following?

There are 2 threads mentioned above, one with instruction for E6430 with nvs5200m/Intel HD4000 graphics, the second with E6430 with only the Intel HD4000 graphics which is similar to what you have.

Is the internal LCD not displaying anything or graphics is not clear?

Which bootpack did you use and which thread were you following?

There are 2 threads mentioned above, one with instruction for E6430 with nvs5200m/Intel HD4000 graphics, the second with E6430 with only the Intel HD4000 graphics which is similar to what you have.

Is the internal LCD not displaying anything or graphics is not clear?

I used the bootpack for the HD4000 only and followed that thread. The graphics are properly recognized and the external monitor resolutions, DVI and HDMI, are what they ought to be. As for the built-in display, the moment the OS finishes booting and switches to graphical mode, the screen turns almost black (as if it detects a signal but doesn't display any video).