ML on E6430 with Intel HD4000 only

ktbos

I was psyched to find people with the same laptop and even trying to use a port replicator since that's my goal too.  Unfortunately, using the same files doesn't give me the same successful result.  I've tried osxjeff's Extra and others from the other thread about E6430 (which isn't as ideal as this one since this thread discusses the 3520 CPU that I have).  I've also followed the guide which is how I got started.  But regardless of which Extra directory or which DSDT or which devices I enable in BIOS, my result is the same:  I can boot in safe mode but not without safe mode. 

I'm booting with -v so I can see what's going on.  When I boot with safe mode, it runs through all the stuff on the black screen and then switches over to the login screen.  When I boot without safe mode, it does the same on the black screen but never switches over.  It just hangs there, dead.  (And of course, if I don't do -v, I just get the grey screen the whole time with the rotating lines.) 

I'm replying to this thread since osxjeff's laptop seems the same as mine (E6430, i7-3520M, Intel HD+).  His DSDT had the same issue as the others I've tried including one I made for myself from the laptop in Windows.  I've tried disabling different devices in the BIOS to see if Bluetooth or the SD card slot or whatever might be the issue, but no change.  (The only thing that may have had an impact was disabling the WLAN caused a kernel panic once but it wasn't repeatable and I may have forgotten to run myFix after changing kexts on that try.) 

My long term plan is a triple boot (which I had working on my E6410) but for right now, I'm doing all my testing on a USB stick.  I have gone as far as doing the install on a blank partition on my hard drive and confirmed that I get the same results there that I do on the USB stick.  So I don't think my issue is with the USB stick, or the lack of free space on it. 

I followed the procedures here to install MyHack on my installer USB stick.  I needed to do an additional myHack installation of Chameleon on the USB stick after doing the Installer setup.  Then after completing the install on the test USB stick, I had to do an additional myHack install of Chameleon on the test USB stick too.  I think that's weird and I don't believe it is explicitly mentioned in guides I've read, but I also don't think that's related to my issue. 

Looking at system.log, I don't see any red flags.  Sure, there are errors, but there are the same errors in the safe mode too.  (For example, about C-states.) There are also lots of warnings about space, but like I said, since it works in safe mode off the same USB test stick and since it fails the same way when not in safe mode on the hard drive that has tons of space, I don't think that's a factor at all. 

I'm attaching a zip with two log files:  osxjeff-2.log uses osxjeff's Extra directory without safe mode and dies before login screen; osxjeff-3.log uses the same Extra directory but shows safe mode booting successfully.  I'm also attaching a file showing my BIOS settings - not all of them, but all that I think might be of interest. 

If anyone has suggestions about what to look for in the log files, sees anything in the log files that might be a clue, sees a setting in my BIOS file that might be wrong, or has any other suggestion on how to proceed to get it to boot without safe mode, please let me know!!  Thank you!

BIOS.txt.zip osxjefflogs.zip

P.S.   The port replicator picture shown earlier in this thread is the original E-series Advanced Port Replicator.  The mention that somebody had about a port replicator with only one DVI is the non-advanced variant just called the E/Port Replicator.  I have the Advanced Port Replicator version 2 which looks the same as the v1 in the picture except it has blue USB jacks.  The version 2 hardware adds USB 3 (on those blue jacks) and allows for Dual Link DVI.  So the v2 Port Replicator may need a different DSDT.  But I need to walk before I can run so I'll save that issue for later! 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

ktbos,

From first look of your bios settings, you didn't include if you have CPU XD support enabled under security. If I disable it on my system, it'll just reboot in a loop, so try enabling if you haven't.

Second, I see you have the resolution of 1600x900, did you included AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.zip to your boot pack?

Looking at log2, it stops at loading the ethernet. Usually video loads right after, so my guess is your video is not loading which brings back to the question, have you include the patched AIFC.

Try and report back your result. Cheers.

ktbos,

From first look of your bios settings, you didn't include if you have CPU XD support enabled under security. If I disable it on my system, it'll just reboot in a loop, so try enabling if you haven't.

Second, I see you have the resolution of 1600x900, did you included AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.zip to your boot pack?

Looking at log2, it stops at loading the ethernet. Usually video loads right after, so my guess is your video is not loading which brings back to the question, have you include the patched AIFC.

Try and report back your result. Cheers.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, yes, I did use the FrameBuffer kext.  I followed that part of the instructions from your guide.  (Thanks again for that, Jake!)  Before I used it, I got the black screen as you and others described.  So I feel pretty good that that much is working. 

And that's another weird thing about the safe mode boot - it comes up with the correct native resolution.  If the video were a problem, you'd think safe mode would look like 1024x768 or something.  But if safe mode can show the full 1600x900, then you'd expect regular boot to be able to show it too. 

I hadn't ever looked at Security / CPU XD so I just checked to see what it comes up as by default:  apparently it is selected by default so that's how I've been running.  Just for kicks, I shut it off and tried booting.  I goes in the reboot loop as you described.  So that's not it either. 

In the failing log you can see WindowServer only has the one entry so it almost seems like that's where things are stuck.  And it does sort of make sense that it is what would happen next and while it would require graphics info, I wonder what else might cause it to fail or at least to get stuck. 

Any more guesses on what happens differently between safe mode and not safe mode that might be a clue? 

Is there a way to do an lspci or something on the hardware and maybe see what I've got and maybe we can ask osxjeff (who has the same computer and whose Extra directory I'm using) to do the same to see if there is a difference? 

• Moderators

Is there a way to do an lspci or something on the hardware and maybe see what I've got and maybe we can ask osxjeff (who has the same computer and whose Extra directory I'm using) to do the same to see if there is a difference? 

run lspci -nn and post it here

run lspci -nn and post it here

Really?  I didn't know lspci was on MacOS.  Feeling stupid about that...  (I only knew of it from Ubuntu!)  And thanks for the tip about the "-nn" too.  I'll remember that. 

Here's the lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller [8086:0154] (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31] (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a] (rev 04)
00:16.3 Serial controller [0700]: Intel Corporation Panther Point KT Controller [8086:1e3d] (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1502] (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d] (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1e10] (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1e12] (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:1e16] (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 6 [8086:1e1a] (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26] (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller [8086:1e55] (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e03] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller [8086:1e22] (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [8086:0082] (rev 34)
07:00.0 SD Host controller [0805]: O2 Micro, Inc. Unknown device [1217:8221] (rev 05)

are you using GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot option? if so try turning it off; if off try turning it on. if it's possible in bios set the video ram to 96 mb i believe. 

Actually, the boot plist file from osxjeff's Extra doesn't have GraphicsEnabler in it at all.  I'm not sure what the default is.  So I have tried now both with a GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=No and there was no change - both ways had the same result as not specifying it at all: hangs before the login screen. 

I don't believe the BIOS gives the option of setting the Video RAM.  I looked again and I didn't see anything about that. 

• Moderators

Actually, the boot plist file from osxjeff's Extra doesn't have GraphicsEnabler in it at all.  I'm not sure what the default is.  So I have tried now both with a GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=No and there was no change - both ways had the same result as not specifying it at all: hangs before the login screen. 

I don't believe the BIOS gives the option of setting the Video RAM.  I looked again and I didn't see anything about that. 

No, Dell BIOS is pretty locked down and I haven't found a mod for it to change Video RAM. 

@ktbos, this is a stretch, but can reset the BIOS to the default and then go back and change only to AHCI and enable CPU XD support?

@ktbos, this is a stretch, but can reset the BIOS to the default and then go back and change only to AHCI and enable CPU XD support?

Sure, that's easy and a great idea.  Load Defaults and switch from RAID to AHCI.  (CPU XD was enabled by default originally and I checked that it is still enabled after loading defaults; it is.)  When I loaded defaults, it switched the display brightness level over what it had been all along - something I never played with and that gave me hope. 

Alas, no luck.  Still hangs in the same spot with the same symptoms.  

Looking through the log again, I found "[AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform" - is that significant or maybe that happens all the time for those of you with E6430 working?  Maybe AppleGraphicsPowerManagement could keep the graphics from activating?