Retail Apple 10.7 USB -> install w/o a Mac, possible?

osxuser

I have the following:
- a Dell D630 (Intel video)
- the official retail Apple 10.7 Lion install USB
- no access to a Mac

Since I don't have access to a Mac, the myhack way to install on my machine isn't available to me.  Does anyone know how I can install osx on my machine w/ what I already have?

I know if I had osx 10.6 dvd and used modcd I could install it w/o a mac but I didn't realize it until after I purchased the 10.7 usb (for nearly triple the price of the 10.6 dvd!)

(Incidentally the Apple USB 10.7 installer can't even be read or copied to a DVD under windows or linux, is this normal?).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.  Are you saying that there isn't a way for me to install 10.7 using my Apple 10.7 USB w/o a working Mac?

I tried the "magic modcd" which is supposed to work with 10.7 but that didn't work for me.  Is there anything like modcd for 10.6 that works with 10.7 or any other work around for me?

• Administrators

No to both... If you don't have a Mac or Hack at hand, your only way is to 1st temporarily install SL (retail copy) with ModCD. You'll then be able to create any myHack USB installer you want.

I have the 10.6.3 DVD now and I tried to boot modcd to install it but it doesn't work.  Modcd boots and I can swap the 10.6.3 DVD in and then press f5 but it eventually stops w/ error that says "Errors encountered while starting up the computer..." and when I press q it restarts.  I don't even get to the osx installer.

I'm using ModCD 091512-143758 that I got from the official site (downloaded twice and burned it 3 times so I don't think it's the disk).  Is this the right version?  Is there something else I'm overlooking?

I also already set bios settings to recommended as per the sticky.

With the standardized D630, I thought this was supposed to be an easy install...thanks for any info.

No, it's the offical retail dvd w/ shrink wrap that I purchased from Apple directly.  I tried an older modcd 032311-151021 and that gets me further along and I can get to the osx install but eventually it says Error can't install on this computer (I'm guessing bec it's an older modcd).

Any other suggestions or link to the modcd version you are using?

I have a T9300 w/ hi res 1440x900 screen if that makes any difference.

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure you had the latest ModCD version 1st time and it works Ok. I used it myself to 1st install SL with my DVD all those years ago on my D630 X3100 HiRes.

If you managed to get to the installer, this kind of error message usually happens if you proceed with installation without re-partitioning the HDD as GUID (GPT) and formatting the partition Mac OS X (Journaled). That is key to complete installation. Make sure you do not skip or forget that Disk Utility phase before you proceed with actual installation.

I tried the older modcd 032311-151021 again and made sure I used GUID and it worked!  (I guess there is something wrong with the later modcd that I have).  I also followed your detailed install on the other thread which made it easy...Thanks.