E6320 with HD3000 - Booting Yosemite with Dell Docking Station

simonjohnharris

Hello

I have successfully installed Yosemite 10.10.4 on my E6320 laptop. It boots fine on it's own but when docked on the Port Replicator, I am getting a panic during boot up. I have tried the chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) and Clover boot loaders both having the same problems.

Please help

post-81707-0-94658000-1439811020_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Tested Ok with the E6220 with Yosemite 10.10.5. I used the Dell E-Port K07A002 replicator as docking station and everything looked Ok; I got 2nd display off my external screen connected to the DVI port.

Serial port is not disabled in BIOS (nor in DSDT). BIOS settings available here.

After further attempts and disabling the com port in the BIOS, I managed to boot to Yosemite on the Docking Station but only with the laptop lid open. When I press Fn+F8 to enable the monitors (connected via DVI), the screen then distorts.

So the issue isn't quite resolved. Any other ideas please?

Also, when I undock the laptop and plug in a VGA cable, then press Fn+F8, I get the same screen distortion. I assume this is a graphics resolution problem as my laptop screen is 1366 x 768 whereas my monitor is 1920 x 1080.

I also have 2 other problems:

1. Bluetooth is on but not pairing.

2. Sleep works but it won't come out of sleep and all I get is a blank screen.

I would appreciate some help with these 3 problems and then my system will be 100% working.

Thanks

• Administrators

I have to say I booted the E6220 with lid opened and the external display already connected to DVI port. The external display was auto-detected and with correct resolution. Will try to boot with lid closed again tomorrow and see the behaviour.

Make sure you use the patched SNB framebuffer kexts to properly support VGA output (note that DVI output from Port replicator works with 10.10.5's vanilla SNB kext - that's what I was running on). Full details of the HD3000 VGA patch are provided in Dinesh's dedicated HD3000 thread on the matter in R&D section or here in the specific case of the E6220. Do not press Fn-F8 under OS X, it will indeed screw up your display both on external and built-in screens. However, if you do, you can recover by putting computer to sleep, then wake it. The patched SNB framebuffer normally support auto-detection of VGA output. If required, click on the "Detect displays" button in the display PrefPane (requires you to press [Alt] or [Win] key 1st) or put laptop to sleep, then wake it.

The patched SNB framebuffer kext I use in 10.10.3/10.10.4 on the E6220 is available here.

For Sleep, usual thing: check your hibernation mode (set to 3 by default, must be disabled, i.e. set to 0) and delete any existing sleepimage file.

sudo pmset -g
sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage

I now have sleep working by changing the hibernation mode to 0. Thanks Hervé.

I'm a newbie with hackintosh.

Now when I dock the laptop, I no longer get the panic error messages and it does now boot into Yosemite. The external monitor connected to the dock shows the boot process but as soon as the laptop gets to the login screen, the monitor turns off.

If I boot up the laptop standalone, and then dock it, the screens still don't show anything,

I have installed the AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext file you mentioned.

• Administrators

I guess you were still using the VGA port out of the replicator, not the DVI one.

I have a feeling that DVI output may only be supported under the vanilla SNB framebuffer kext and VGA under the patched version. VGA may also be limited to direct laptop output, not port replicator. This would mean that the patch needs to be further refined to be able to support HDMI + DVI + VGA on top of built-in LVDS screen; so we would be back to 4 ports, not 3 as supported by the current patch and port number for VGA may have to be modified for port replicator (which could mean it's either the laptop's port or the replicator's, not both).

I'll work on it tomorrow, it should not be difficult to suss out. I expect the patch to be the same for all E6x20 models.

Can you try with external display directly connected to the laptop, then do Detect Displays and/or put laptop to sleep then wake it? With the patched SNB kext, that should extend display to the external screen. If it does, then try and do the same with the laptop docked in.