Refined ALPS TouchPad driver

Dr. Hurt

• Moderators

Very nice, glad I asked for it. LOL

Trackstick definitely still needs lots of work. The left and right mouse on the trackstick are still not functioning

The direction of the trackstick movement is correct now but very erratic, most of the time it just get stuck to the left side.

It moves up and down too fast I think is the issue. Moving to right seems okay, but moving to the left seems to jump downward really quick.

Again, switch to trackstick from touchpad is ok, but switching back to touchpad is a bit of trial and error. 

As is, I think the touchpad is almost perfect. Movement is good. Scrolling is good. Thanks for continuing with this.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I can confirm that, on the E6440, Trackstick is in a little crazy mode with beta6 and not working at all with beta7. Trackstick buttons (i.e. those directly under Kbd but above TouchPad) are inoperative.

NB: No Trackstick on E6220/E6230.

Release 4 Beta 8: (for trackstick testers only)...

- Fixed a silly mistake with trackstick buttons.

- Removed a few conditions (to make trackstick code more likely to execute)

- Added logging to understand what is going on. It's really hard to code without having the hardware.

Check the log for ALPS messages (warnings, dispatch info,) and post it here.

Release 4 Beta 8.zip

• Administrators

Trackstick left + right buttons are fully operational on my E6440. Middle button appears to work also (it opens a new tab in Safari for instance) though I admit not knowing how it's meant to operate (I never use trackstick at all...)

Trackstick movements are another story: very slow when moving down and right. When trying to move left or up, pointer goes in diagonal to the left and up; and still very slowly.

That's a good start. At least its working now.

How much faster should it be? 2x or 4x or 8x?

so up: goes up + left diagonally
left: goes up + left as well?

Could you also post ALPS messages from the system log?
Did the bpedman driver work well with trackstick?

• Administrators

Yes, see attached screen recordings. Trackstick cannot go UP-RIGHT or DOWN-LEFT.

Trackstick_right.mov Trackstick_down.mov

Trackstick_up.mov Trackstick_left.mov

Speed could gain by x2 possibly x4; x8 may be too much.

Can't see any ALPS messages in Syslog. I can't recall ever using bpedman's driver, or at least not for years.

• Like 1