[Solved] E5420: display+LAN+audio issues with Yosemite and El Capitan

amthb0

Another question. 

Actually, I got an issue on eth in Yosemite. mac address and IP address issue.

For Yosemite, the DSDT is from this guide, https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-e6xxxe7xxx-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45222.  I replaced the BCM4322 description with the BCM5761 description copied from E5520 DSDT, so the eth can work. And, my BCM4322 Wifi also works without the BCM4322 description in DSDT. But it is not perfect, If I plug in the network cable after system booting up, the eth will not have mac address, the issue will come again. 

And, there is another issue of the DSDT for Yosemite, the installation screen is normal, but the welcome screen after installation only shows half. I have to guess where the buttons are in the invisible part, finish the welcome inputs and install the kext. Both the DSDT in the guide and my modified DSDT have the welcome screen issue.

Can you please help to check if I did correctly for eth issue in the DSDT for Yosemite, and please help on the welcome screen display issue? Thank you. 

I have attached the Extra folder for Chameleon for installing Yosemite. 

Extra.zip

• Administrators

No need to activate "Drop SSDT" in the o.c.B.plist; it's not necessary. Same for "Enable DualLink", it's already set in the DSDT (see IGPU section).

This being said, can't see why you'd still have graphics issues. But I do wonder how you boot your Yosemite USB installer, namely which Chameleon version are you using and how do you load kexts from /E/E, especially FakeSMC?

Please note that the pack is a little outdated and that you should no longer require the patched AppleSDXC kext since a little DSDT patch suffice for the SD card reader.

What's the LAN card on a E5420 by the way?

Thanks, Hervé.

Yosemite, Chameleon r2437.

When booting for installation, whatever with or without -f, the screen is normal.

After installation, I didn't use any flag to boot the OS.

Should I try the latest Chameleon r2716? 

As I don't need SD card reader, I will remove the AppleSDCX kext. 

LAN, BCM57xx, VEN 14e4  DEV 1681. It's built-in. 

Maybe I have a different revision E5420? As the DSDT works for so many other people. 

At the Welcome screen, I didn't have a chance to install the Chameleon and Extra and kext. It is the first time to boot the OS. 

After I finish the welcome steps half blindly, performing the post-installation steps refer to the guide, also half blindly. The display will be normal. 

So, I think there's some issue at the Welcome screen. 

• Administrators

No, you're missing the point totally. You won't be able to boot your installed system unless you copy the /Extra folder and the necessary kexts to your freshly made OS X installation.

Reboot your USB installer, go to the main installer screen and run Terminal from Tools menu. Then copy the Extra folder from your USB key to your freshly made OS X volume/partition.

diskutil list      -> to identify the name of your freshly made OS X volume/partition
cp -Rf /Extra /Volumes/<name of identified OS X partition>

`

I can only advise you to read my Chameleon/Enoch-based Yosemite/ElCapitan/Sierra guides posted here to familiarise yourself with the actual installation process. Until you fully understand it, you will probably not succeed.

This being said, you must have managed to copy something to be able to boot OS X. Maybe you're actually using distros... But if you've not copied the Extra folder, you're missing the DSDT so you'll have to manually set DualLink through Chameleon boot option EnableDualLink=Yes. You may add Injectntel-ig=00000100 but that's probably not necessary with HD3000. If in doubt, type "?" at Chameleon prompt and you'll see some help on the boot flags and options.