Dell XPS L321X - El Capitan / Sierra Install

GatorGeek

• Moderators

What version of Yosemite are you installing?

Go here and download the patch for your version. Replace the file to your Installer (step 6 of the HowTo.txt in the downloaded patch file)

You'll have to reinstall after you format the SSD drive to MBR. With the patch you should be able to select the MBR formatted drive to install.

Well that was a lot easier than I expected :)

Took me a minute to figure out that Clover wasn't being installed into a separate EFI partition but rather into the root of my OS disk...

Now just got to figure out how to get my Battery Status to work...

Thanks Jake, but that DSDT didn't work too well for me. Didn't fix the battery display and gave some weird (blocky) graphical glitches.

I have my DSDT decompiled to .dsl  Is there a particular patch I should apply with MaciASL to fix the battery?

• Moderators

#Maintained by: RehabMan for: Laptop Patches#battery_Dell-XPS-13.txt
# created by RehabMan 9/25/2013
# created originally for ivan0309

# works for:
#  Dell XPS 13
#  Dell Insprion 14z
#  Dell XPS 15z
#  Dell Inspiron 14r n4110
#  Dell Vostro 5470 (per sonic1978)
#  Dell Vostro 3750 (per Moorre)
#  Dell Vostro 3460 (per Vampnight)

into method label B1B2 remove_entry;
into definitionblock code_regex . insert
begin
Method (B1B2, 2, NotSerialized) { Return (Or (Arg0, ShiftLeft (Arg1, 8))) }\n
end;

# battery EC
into device label EC0 code_regex CAP0,\s+16 replace_matched begin CAPX,8,CAPY,8 end;
into device label EC0 code_regex VOT0,\s+16 replace_matched begin VOTX,8,VOTY,8 end;
into device label EC0 code_regex CRT0,\s+16 replace_matched begin CRTX,8,CRTY,8 end;
into device label EC0 code_regex FCP0,\s+16 replace_matched begin FCPX,8,FCPY,8 end;
into device label EC0 code_regex DCP0,\s+16 replace_matched begin DCPX,8,DCPY,8 end;
into device label EC0 code_regex DVT0,\s+16 replace_matched begin DVTX,8,DVTY,8 end;
into device label EC0 code_regex BSN0,\s+16 replace_matched begin BSNX,8,BSNY,8 end;

# battery methods
into method label _BIF code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.DCP0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.DCPX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.DCPY), end;
into method label _BIF code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.FCP0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.FCPX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.FCPY), end;
into method label _BIF code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.DVT0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.DVTX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.DVTY), end;
into method label _BIF code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.BSN0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.BSNX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.BSNY), end;

into method label _BST code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.CAP0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.CAPX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.CAPY), end;
into method label _BST code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.VOT0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.VOTX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.VOTY), end;
into method label _BST code_regex \(\^\^PCI0\.LPCB\.EC0\.CRT0, replace_matched begin (B1B2(^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.CRTX,^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.CRTY), end;

Hi Jake

Were you able to compile the write-up for how to install El Capitan or Sierra on the L321X?  I have Yosemite running fairly well, but I'd much prefer a more recent version of the OS if that's possible...or worth the effort.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Jake

Were you able to compile the write-up for how to install El Capitan or Sierra on the L321X?  I have Yosemite running fairly well, but I'd much prefer a more recent version of the OS if that's possible...or worth the effort.

Thanks for your help.

I have Sierra 10.12.6 on my L321X right now.

Ive attached my EFI folder from my USB stick.

Take note, Clover has to be installed legacy.  Also, start in the USB2 port, half way in between you'll get "Still Waiting for Root Device" at this point move the USB over to your USB3 port on the right.  It will continue on to the installer.

EFI.zip