Samsung Series 7 Chronos graphics issues

Kaymac

Hi, my name's Ken. This is my first post and I do have Mavericks working on my Samsung laptop but I'm having issues with my graphics. Here are my specs:

• Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A-S01 Notebook
  • PU Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
  • RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • Motherboard Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. 700Z3A/700Z4A/700Z5A/700Z5B (CPU)
  • Graphics Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
  • Intel Mobile Intel HD Graphics (Samsung)
  • 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon 6750M (Samsung)
  • Storage 750GB Hitachi HTS727575A9E364 (SATA)
  • 7GB SanDisk iSSD P4 8GB (SSD)
  • Optical Drives MATSHITA DVD-RAM
  • UJ8A7AS Audio Intel Display Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

The problem is the graphics are set at one resolution, 1024X768, but my notebooks native resolution is 1600X900. Right now it's using the stretch to screen option and although it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look all that good either. Ideally I'd like to use my Radeon 6750M card for the graphics but when I look at the system information it's using the Intel graphics card but it's rated at 64 megs of memory and this explains why I'm getting flickering effects on websites when I scroll up or down. I've tried using a kext but that did nothing and I've also used a smbios setting that matched the specs of this computer and while it did change things in the "About This Mac" settings it didn't change the resolution.

I've also been reading on other forums about "direct injecting" for the graphics card and also about using ROMs but that seems kind of intimidating to me and there's also a chance I may mess things up as it involves hex numbers. I also briefly tried getting the Intel Mobile graphics to work with a kext but it messed up the screen, turned it grey and everything on screen was enlarged slightly and shifted to the right. Needless to say, after that I had to re-install Mavericks. I've got everything else working fine but the icing on the cake would be to get the proper resolution working for this notebook. Thanks in advance. :)

Looks like AppleIntelHD3000graphics is not loading. Do you have QE/CI enabled?

Can you attach your DSDT here? Maybe you're missing graphics patch.

Hi Jake, I'm attaching two zip files, one from the Windows version of the DSDT editor and one from the Mavericks install. I don't know if there'll be much difference but I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. I'm also attaching a screenshot from the Mavericks System Info. 

post-53319-0-75188400-1393286393_thumb.jpg

DSDTWindows.zip

DSDTMavericks.zip

• Moderators

Hi Jake, I'm attaching two zip files, one from the Windows version of the DSDT editor and one from the Mavericks install. I don't know if there'll be much difference but I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. I'm also attaching a screenshot from the Mavericks System Info. 

Your graphics wasn't loaded. Try this DSDT, rename to DSDT.aml and put in Extra

Mavericks.aml.zip

Hi Jake, sorry I'm late getting back to you but I did try renaming the DSDT and put it in the Extra folder but unfortunately when I started OSX it immediately crashed.  I've attached a couple of photos. I was just thinking that for some reason it seems like it's using generic graphics loaders instead of something that can be used by either my Intel HD 3000 or the Radeon 6750M graphics cards. If you look at the first photo you'll see it's using only 63 Megs of memory for the video. The second photo shows the crash. I hope it's okay to link to another forum because I found something there that looks like it may be useful for video cards. Here's the link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/  It involves using the terminal and it doesn't look like it's too difficult. In the meantime it looks like I'll have to install Mavericks again. I tried booting with the safe mode and single user mode but I still got crashes. Would you recommend the method on the other forum or should I try something else? Thanks again for your help.

post-53319-0-30854800-1393794090_thumb.jpg

post-53319-0-06060200-1393794106_thumb.jpg

got the exact same issue with my NP700Z5A

did you get it working?

No, I never did get it working. I've decided I'll just stick with the graphics I have, which really aren't bad, a little stretched out but nothing to really worry about.