/!\ WARNING: 10.11.4 update

Hervé

• Moderators

Seems all systems that report this issue have one thing in common...Alps touchpad using Alps version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext (v1.8.9, 1.9.0). 

I too, encounter KP after installing 'Recovery' and running 'trimforce enable'. Was able to boot with CPUS=1. Finally decided to remove all versions of VoodooPS2Controller and replace with ApplePS2Controller. No more KP.

I guess we'll have to wait for a new version of Alps touchpad kext or rebuild it with new Xcode could fix it...???

For now I'm sticking with ApplePS2Controller, it works as a regular mouse. No multitouch or scrolling.

Using Karabiner can enable trackstick scrolling which is fine with me since I don't use touchpad as much.

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

It's a kind of weird behaviour.

I re-installed 10.11.3 last night on the E6230 and completed the full tuning (audio, graphics, battery, LAN, SSD Trim, etc.). Then I updated to 10.11.4 through the Apple menu. I was not offered the Recovery or the Thunderbolt updates. I was still running the VoodooPS2Controller kext v1.8.9, yet everything worked absolutely fine, even after multiple reboots.  :)

This morning, systematic KP on CPU on each reboot, yet no change whatsoever since last night.  :wacko:

Ok after replacing the VoodooPS2Controller by the ApplePS2Controller.  -_-

I've now turned to Dr Hurt's VoodooPS2Controller kext as published back in December (post #168) and that specific kext appears Ok so far with 10.11.4...  :P

what i'm curious about is no Kext being reported in the backtrace..  sure makes it hard to pin down the culprit.. also that some boots are ok whilst others give a KP. Seems almost Random.

that is what makes me think it is more to do with a memory or more precisely, a CPU cache referencing issue.

Apple may have changed the way it references CPU cache to throw off us Hack builders. a memory position that would exist on real Mac's but not exist on non Apple hardware. 

• Administrators

Since most people appear unable to use the Search facility of the forum and/or unable to click a posted link :? , here's a ISO Layout-enabled copy of Dr Hurt's VoodooPS2Controller that works with all existing versions of El Capitan.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

Works perfectly on my E6220, E6230 and E6440 so I expect it to be Ok with other models of the E6x20, E6x30 and E6x40 too.

• Administrators

I can't explain the behaviour on your E7440 but Dr Hurt's VoodooPS2Controller certainly works on Titou2k4's E7440 so that's another model on which it appears kosher to me.

Make sure you don't have duplicate controllers lying around in your EFI partition, /S/L/E, /L/E.

Confirmed, no duplicate controllers of either the ApplePS2Controller or the VoodooPS2Controller.
I deleted the ApplePS2Controller from /L/E and ensured it was not in S/L/E.. 
Then i copied the VoodooPS2Controller to /L/E
Then repaired permissions and rebuilt caches (successfully). 

and every time it boots, KP.. unless i boot with CPUS=1.. which i had to do to remove the VoodooPS2Controller and reinstate the ApplePS2Controller.
Maybe something on my ALPS touchpad that the VoodooPS2 controller does not work well with.. 

Here is a Kext Dump from my System info about all currently loaded Kexts. 
kexts.pdf

Maybe if someone in the know has a looks and can tell me why that voodooPS2Controller will not work, possibly conflicting with another Kext. ALSO if there is a Kext loaded in there that should not be, or one that is missing, to enable my Sleep function to work as well as HDMI Audio.. it would be appreciated.

• Administrators

Arf, who's gonna go through those 77pages?  :shock:

If you want to list kext loaded or not loaded, copy paste the sorted list from SysProfiler->Extensions, but not the above! Anyway, let's get this seen in its own dedicated thread.

All those systems I tested and verified run Enoch by the way, not Clover...

Hi Hervé,

Has there been any update on this issue?  To avoid KPs, I am still running Dr Hurt's VoodooPS2 on my E6230 and ApplePS2 on my E6430.  The Apple kext does not have scrolling, and Dr Hurt's kext does not map keys correctly when running a VNC session.  So I would like to be able to move back to the latest version of VoodooPS2 if the issue has been diagnosed and solved...

Thanks-