El Capitan or Sierra on Thinkpad X201?

gpetrowich

• Moderators

You'll need to have a Mac system to create the installer. The EFI is just boot file to allow booting on a PC system. 

If you don't have a Mac to work with, you could try using Windows

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288795-guide-creating-os-x-usb-installer-using-a-windows-pc-only/?do=findComment&comment=2012539

As @Jake Lo already said, you need a working MacOS/OS X to make the bootable USB, altough you can do this under Windows with some tools.

Also, don't know if this will work on your i7 X201, since we have different configs.

But give it a try, nothing to loose here, right?!

Yup... got a bunch o Mac's to configure it.

Gonna dive in later tonight. I just wanna get some form of macOS on there... be nice if it were beyond Yosemite... if possible.

Well versed enough getting deep into the OS... just haven't gone the Hackintosh route yet.

Hate to keep bugging y'all... but to set up a dual boot with W10... is it just a matter of formatting a partition to MBR and then install? And I've read it's best to start off installing OSX first. Any insights.

I have read up on this part... but always nice to get another opinion.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Although you (@gpetrowich) probably don't need all these - step by step - informations (since you already have 10.9.5 installed), I made it this way, thinking that it might help others that intend to install High Sierra on their Lenovo X201, so here you go:

To reach the installer and install High Sierra, use this EFI folder by putting the content of it on a FAT32 formatted USB Stick and selecting it under boot device on startup.

After you boot into MacOS, load this video kext with your favorite kext installer, install CLOVER Bootloader on your HDD, install CLOVER Configurator, mount the EFI partition, delete it's content and replace it with the content of this EFI .zip file.

No need to delete any graphic kexts, just follow the steps above (you can get the High Sierra installer from the AppStore, make it bootable on your USB Stick via terminal).

I have patched my DSDT and SSDT's (you have 'em on EFI-Post Install .zip, under ACPI\patched and you also have the unpatched CLOVER extracted versions under ACPI\origin).

Speedstep is working but is not reaching turbo speed (2.9Ghz), only max 2.66Ghz, brightness buttons are working, sleep/wake from sleep is not working.

Don't know though if those are usable to you, considering that we may have some different hardware components, like RAM's, HDD/SSD, WiFi adapter and/or BIOS settings. You may have to extract and patch yours to be fully functional. If they are creating you problems, just delete 'em from ACPI/patched.

Enjoy your hack!

Hi PrivateFirstClass, is your X201 UEFI capable? mine is not so your guide is not working and laptop cannot boot from Fat32 key with your EFI

Which Bios you installed ?

No, it's not, I've just modified one step:

To reach the installer and install High Sierra, use this EFI folder like so: format your USB Stick in FAT32, download the latest CLOVER bootloader, install it on the USB by making no custom changes, delete it's content and replace it with 'EFI-to reach installer' content), after that select it under the boot device on startup.

Also I've made a separate thread on this subject.