What's the way to go about upgrading the video card?

asr1981

I was gifted a radeon 6670 yesterday and I would like to install that card and take the one I'm using out.   Right now I'm using a 5450.    I'm using El Capitan right now and it's running perfect but I would like to try to use my new card.    What would be the best way to go about it?   I was wondering what I need to change.     I know I need to replace the related kexts and rebuild the cache,  are there anything else that I need to change or modify?    I'm making a backup of everything just in case I have trouble and need to rollback to a working system.

• Administrators

You take out the old card, plug the new one in and reboot without cache. If the new card is supported, it'll work OOB or after any necessary tuning (DSDT dGPU injection or patch adjustments, AMD FB patching, etc.).

• Administrators

Nothing, the card either supports it or doesn't and the Radeon HD 6670 does. It's more a matter of drivers and apps. You can run tools like OpenGL Extensions Viewer (free off AppStore) or others to check out your card's capabilities. OpenCL usage largely depends on apps that call onto it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823