Triple Boot : W8 + ML + Ubuntu

paasoares

Hi,

First, i just want to thanks this Great Forum !!!!

it made my life so easy to install ML on my 630....

I was able to get triple boot : Windows 8 + Mountain Lion + Ubuntu 12.10

Everything is working great.

just have one minor issue :

Using Chameleon as boot loader, when booting to ML the flag "-v" is always there. I always have to press SPACE and delete   "-v" in the boot option. i checked and double checked the file org.chameleon.boot.plist on extra folder and i don´t have that kernel flag. I even installed Chameleon Wizard and the flag is not there.

Don´t know what else can i do.

Any clue ?

here is my modified chameleon boot screen :

post-8383-0-81063400-1361059056_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I take this thread to share my experience on making triple boot.... it may serve/help others   ;)

The goal here is to have WINDOWS 8 + MOUNTAIN LION + UBUNTU 12.10 on the same HDD (250GB)

The disk is on MBR mode (MBR only allows 4 Primary partitions) 

SPACE ALLOCATION :

Windows 8 - 50GB

Mountain Lion - 40GB

Ubuntu 12.10 - 40GB

Shared Data - rest of the HDD (about 110GB formated as NTFS)

INSTALLATION SEQUENCE :

Windows 8

Mountain Lion

Ubuntu 12.10

Windows 8

This is trivial...Just follow the setup procedure.

When asked where to install, manually create a 50GB NTFS partition and also a 40GB FAT16 partition (this will be used for installing Mountain Lion) and choose to install windows on the 50GB NTFS partition.

When windows setup finish you end up with 3 partitions : the 2 ones created above plus one "System Reserved" that windows create by itself.

Mountain Lion

Follow the guide on this forum for using myhack.

After you have the myhack disk ready we need to do one little change : By default, ML will only install on a disk in GPT mode, so you need to download a fix that bypass the GPT check. Put the fix on the myhack installation disk. (google for this fix). Start the installation with myhack. On Disk Utility erase the 40GB FAT16 partition that we created with Windows and format it as HFS+. At the end of Installation, make sure you install CHAMELEON on /dev/sda3. After ML Install just apply EDP and everything should work great

UBUNTU 12.10

Start the Ubuntu Installation (cd,usb,etc) and when setup ask where to install, create an EXTENDED PARTITION with all the free space available on disk. Then inside that Extended Partition, create a 40GB EXT4 partition with "/" mount point + 1GB SWAP Partition. Follow the installation to the end. At first boot apply all updates that UBUNTU suggest you. After that you may get rid of "NEUVEU DRIVER" and replace it by the NVIDIA driver...its a litle tricky...google for it.

NOTE 1 :

If after Mountain Lion Installed you still boot directly to windows then you need to flag partition 3 as active.

On Windows 8 open a Command Prompt and type :

DISKPART [Enter] 

Select disk 0 [Enter]

select partition 3 [Enter]

active [Enter]

exit [Enter]

exit [Enter]

Reboot and now you should see Chameleon Boot Loader

NOTE 2 :

After the 3 OS installed you can create the final partition as NTFS with all free space on HDD. Windows and Ubuntu can read and write on NTFS but ML can only read. Google on how to put ML read an write on NTFS partitions. I'm using TUXERA.

FINAL DISK PARTITIONS :

/dev/sda1 - NTFS - System Reserved (created by Windows 8 Install - boot, Primary Partition)

/dev/sda2 - NTFS - Windows 8 (Primary Partition)

/dev/sda3 - HFS+ - Mac Mountain Lion (boot, Primary Partition)

/dev/sda4 - Extended Partition

/dev/sda5 - EXT4 - UBUNTU 12.10 (boot)

/dev/sda6 - SWAP

/dev/sda7 - NTFS - Shared Data

CHAMELEON :

Chameleon will present as boot options all the NTFS partitions, the HFS+ partition and the EXT4 partition.

Since partitions /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda7 are not bootable, we need to HIDE those partitions from Chameleon.

Here is how i have my org.chameleon.Boot.plist on the Extra folder :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Rename Partition</key>

<string>"System Reserved" Windows</string>

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2) hd(0,7)</string>       

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>ForceHPET</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>