Dell Optiplex 760

mikeguru

Excellent guide: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/3079-guide-osx-mavericks-109-dell-optiplex-780-760/

I haven't been able to get it working on my Dell 760 with an ATI Radeon 5000 (512Mb) video card. I have gone through a CLEAN INSTALL and all of the steps 4 times, and I am always able to get to the initial Mavericks setup screen after install by booting using the -f boot flag. I install Chameleon and install the provided Kexts, but when I try to reboot, no matter what boot flags I use (-x, -f, -v), it halts at the message "the IOUSBFamily was unable to enumerate a USB device" error message. Please note that I have a separate partition with 10.8.3 installed on my HD, and everything works PERFECTLY - QE/CI on two monitors (using the video cards' VGA and DVI connectors), Sound, USB, App Store, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

I also have Mavericks running well on a Dell 17-3721 laptop. Yet, I cannot seem to get to the Desktop on my Dell 760 using your instructions.

- What Kext(s) might be causing the "IOUSBFamily was unable to enumerate a USB device" error message, and can you tell me a fix to try?

(It may boot to the desktop once I get past that error).

Thanks!

Usually means that there's something plugged into usb that isn't recognized.

If you want your 760 to run Mavericks, take out the video card and get it working then do whatever needs to be done to set it up to use your video card such as modifying and installing appropriate kexts then reboot to make sure that it will then reinstall your video card and see if it works.  If it doesn't, there may be some other alterations necessary or your video card just won't work with Mavericks (yet???). It is important to get it working first without any add-on hardware.