Optiplex 760 - Mavericks

mikeguru

For those interested - I have also successfully installed 10.9 Mavericks on my main "tower" Hackintosh system, which is a Dell Optiplex 760 (about $350 - check eBay). I added 6 Gigs of RAM and an ATI Radeon 5450 video card (512Meg). It is one of the easiest cards to configure for both dual-monitor support and QE/CI. (Does require editing some Kexts, but if you've been working in the Hackintosh world for any length of time, this should already be part of your "skill set". If not, search this and other Forums for how-to instructions). I'm running 2 Dell 2001FP 20" monitors on it at 1600x1200 resolution. This card costs around $35 if you shop around. Try NewEgg or eBay, and don't worry - re-branded cards work just fine, as long as they're "based on" the Radeon 5450.

Dell Optiplex 760 Mavericks Install - UPDATE (10.9.2 install via Software Update Breaks QE/CI)

I previously mentioned how I had a Dell Optiplex 760 fully working in Mavericks 10.9, including QE/CI. I need to install 10.9.2 so I could then install various App & Mavericks Security updates. I decided to do a "live" update via Software Update/App Store. All went well, but when I restarted, I had lost QE/CI. I figured since I had a working copy of the (previously) edited ATI Radeon 5450 Kexts backed up on another drive, it would be a simple matter to re-install them (using Kext Utility, of course!) STILL NO GO! After much research and several days of frustrating trial-and-error, I final figured out that more was needed in 10.9.2 than just the 2 modified Kext files mentioned in all of the online "guides"! Here's what it took to get QE/CI working again:

Dell Optiplex 760 - Mavericks 10.9.2 - Installing Video for QE/CI Manually (ATI Radeon HD 5450)

You will need 2 programs and an edited set of Kexts to complete the steps outlined here:

Chameleon Wizard (from insanelymac.com)

(Download HERE)

Kext Utility (from insanelymac.com)

(Download HERE)

EDITED ATI Radeon Kexts

(Download HERE)

STEP 1:

• INSTALL the following (Edited) ATI Radeon 5450 Kext files to S/L/E using Kext Utility:
  • AMD5000Controller.kext
  • AMDFramebuffer.kext
  • AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle
  • AMDRadeonX3000.kext
  • AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
  • AMDSupport.kext

NOTE: Kext file versions are all 1.20.11

STEP 2:

DELETE the following ATI files from S/L/E:

• ATI5000Controller.kext
  • ATIRadeonX2000.kext
  • ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin
  • ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle
  • ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

STEP 3:

Open Kext Wizard

Click on “org.chameleon.Boot†at the top

Ensure the following items are selected:

Under “Boot Flagsâ€:

• Ignore boot Cache (-f)
  • GUI
  • Kernel (mach_kernel should show in the box below that)

Under “Miscellaneousâ€:

• SMBios.plist: (/Extra/SMBios.plist should show in the box below that)
  • Restart Fix

Under “Graphicsâ€:

• Graphics Enabler
  • Ati Config (Select “Eulemur†from the pop-up list below that - works on most ATI Radeon 54xx series cards, but YMMV)
  • Graphics Mode (I have 1920x1080x32 set in mine, but it may need to be set to some other value, depending on the monitor(s) you have connected)
  • NOTE: I have 2 Dell 2001FP 19†monitors, connected via VGA and DVI ports - I have not tested the HDMI port yet
  • PCIRoot=1

NOTE: Under “Device Properties†is where the “string†is listed (unique to my setup) that enables the App Store to work - this string enables the Ethernet network configuration, but I am not including those instructions here, since these instructions are ONLY about enabling QE/CI with an ATI Radeon 54xx series video card…

• Now RESTART.
  • After restart, the video card should be working, along with QE/CI is now WORKING.