Clover not detecting USB

loganw

I guess I can post here as I have already got Win 10 pro on my laptop, Dell E7470 with 100gb space left as unpartitioned space for MacOS Sierra.

I have followed the instructions as per the guide and created the USB. I have changed the settings in BIOS too. However, when I boot from the USB as UEFI, the clover screen does show up, but the USB drive is no where to be seen to start the installation.

Where could I have gone wrong?

So here's some update on what I did, so I assume we're kinda getting closer to solve this issue, i dunno?

I decided to try out the createmedia command in the terminal to create a usb installer of sierra. I followed the guide here.

To my amusement, I found it easier and wondered why it was not put into the guides over here. Well I got my answer a few moments later...

Once the USB installer was created, I proceeded to install the latest version of clover onto the USB drive and copy the EFI folders from the E7X70 Sierra Bootpack into the EFI folder of the USB which was created through the installation of clover. I replaced the folders from the bootpack and proceeded to try and boot the USB.

To my surprise, this time during the boot process after pressing F12, there was no USB media showing under the UEFI boot list. That means I could not even boot into clover.

So this meant that the "guide" posted here and the way to create the USB media does have importance. But still, why didn't it show "Install macOS Sierra" in the clover boot screen after having booted in UEFI mode when I first created the USB installer?

Update:

I went back to the guide which is used to create the usb installer through the long way.

This time I am noticing something peculiar. Despite all options remaining same (in the BIOS) I am unable to see the USB Drive under UEFI boot options.

I am using BIOS Revision 1.9.4 (Dell).

Here is what I see on the screen, I will type it out:

Boot mode is set to: UEFI; Secure Boot: OFF

LEGACY BOOT:

Internal HDD

USB Storage Device

Onboard NIC

UEFI BOOT:

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI: INTEL SSDSCKKF256H6 SATA 256GB, Partition 1 <-- This is where Windows 10 Pro is already installed.

OTHER OPTIONS:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

Intel® Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx)

Change Boot Mode Settings

So I guess I'm back to square one. What can I do to proceed?

Update: Issue resolved.

I noticed there was a section under the boot loader in the BIOS settings to add a new boot option under UEFI.

I clicked on add new and saw that the USB drive was detected in the BIOS.

I than proceeded to add the new boot option using the USB Drive. It also required the boot file. So, I clicked on the "..." (three dots) to browse folders on the USB drive and headed to the EFI folder. Once there, I went into the BOOT folder and selected the only file there. Voila.

When I restarted the PC, I was able to see the Clover drive in the boot options and now I am on a working installation of macOS Sierra. Just need to sort out some issues post-installation now.

Thanks for reading

• Like 1