PayPal donations: [email protected] ×
Mariusz

Sierra Wireless MC8781

@Zeppo: I think your Card is still in Installation Mode. You are seeing the USB disc with your drivers. Eject the Volume and your Device should be in "Modem mode". As far as I've read the Watcher Software should be able to swich this.

Why is everybody looking for the mc8781 all information i have seen says mc8781 and mc8780 are the same with the exception of gsm frequenzy optimization. mc8781 sould be (north) America and mc8780 should be the european version. So in Poland and Germany I would think the mc8780 is the right choice.

@Zeppo: I think your Card is still in Installation Mode. You are seeing the USB disc with your drivers. Eject the Volume and your Device should be in "Modem mode". As far as I've read the Watcher Software should be able to swich this.

Why is everybody looking for the mc8781 all information i have seen says mc8781 and mc8780 are the same with the exception of gsm frequenzy optimization. mc8781 sould be (north) America and mc8780 should be the european version. So in Poland and Germany I would think the mc8780 is the right choice.

You are right:

Those two have receive equalizer with dual antenna diversity.

- MC8780: 850/2100 MHZ optimized for Europe and Asia Pacific

- MC8781: 850/1900 MHZ optimized for North America

And this card supports tri-band UMTS/HSPA so in MC8781 case I think it prioritize UMTS/HSPA usage - cause between GPRS and UMTS it expects EDGE and cause of US optimization in europe it doesn't detect any so it pushes it to higher frequency. That is why I have observed higher speeds on this modem or this is another placebo effect ;)

I'll soon get my hands on MC8775 so I'll have a comparison.

My friend just bought Sierra Wireless MC8775 for his WinXP thinkpad. I had 30 minutes to check it against my E6400 Lion and I'm happy to report that it works! I had issues connecting by AirCard Watcher that I use for MC8781 but I guess this can be easily fixed by using other one (for 875U).

Here's the info from System Information > Hardware > USB

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location:	Built-in USB
 Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBUHCI
 PCI Device ID:	0x3a36 
 PCI Revision ID:	0x0003 
 PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086 
 Bus Number:	0x5d 

Mini Card:

Product ID:	0x6812
 Vendor ID:	0x1199  (Sierra Wireless Inc.)
 Version:	0,02
 Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:	Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
 Location ID:	0x5d200000 / 2
 Current Available (mA):	500
 Current Required (mA):	500

@HaraldRT

Well, the one thing I know: it is NOT in USB mode. There is no USB storage or partition to be seen. At least in Finder, PathFinder and Disk Utility.

@Mariusz

Is this out of your System Information or have you used any kind of a tool to extract this info?

@Mariusz

Is this out of your System Information or have you used any kind of a tool to extract this info?

Yes its System Information > Hardware > USB