n00b with an e6520 and a kernel panic

bpedman

Hey, just wanna give an update. So I have gotten most things working now using bits and pieces found around here and other places. I have graphics working, sound, keyboard, mouse, battery, bluetooth, speedstep on the CPU, and ethernet (and am actually posting this from my e6520!)

There are only a couple problems I am still having that I am wondering if anybody has an answer for:

- Trackpad. Is there any way to get the trackpad working (Alps PS2 touchpad)? I don't really care about all the fancy gestures, all I really need is a way to scroll with the trackpad, whether that is 2-finger scrolling or moving up and down along the side. I have tried several different combinations of drivers/preference panes I found while searching but none have worked yet.

- Keyboard. Any idea how to get the right keys mapped? I don't appear to have a key that works like the command key on the mac keyboard. I would also like to have my home and end keys work.

Thanks for the help

- Keyboard. Any idea how to get the right keys mapped? I don't appear to have a key that works like the command key on the mac keyboard. I would also like to have my home and end keys work.

Ha, OK, I found out that Alt was actually working like the command key :) oy...and the home and end keys do something in the browser...goes to top and bottom of screen...but in the terminal it doesn't do anything...I did find that holding command+(left or right arrow) moves to home or end...just wish the home and end keys would work like normal.

Is there any chance you can post a once and for all tutorial on the e6520....? I have been trying since Feb and still no luck getting lion to work. It's been so long I think I might just try Mountain Lion now. This is ridiculous how long it is taking. BTW, I have the INTEL HD 3000. So not sure if you tutorial would exactly work for me. Anyway, I have been posting left and right on every forum I can find and normally I dont post all becuase I know I how to research and read for myself how to do things. But, this has stumped me. I get into the OS X install just fine using unifail method over USB. My problem starts after trying to run the latest multifail. I do choose Mac mini due to the INTEL HD 3000 as the profile. Please PM me if you like or hit me on gtalk solja.b

Is there any chance you can post a once and for all tutorial on the e6520....? I have been trying since Feb and still no luck getting lion to work. It's been so long I think I might just try Mountain Lion now. This is ridiculous how long it is taking. BTW, I have the INTEL HD 3000. So not sure if you tutorial would exactly work for me. Anyway, I have been posting left and right on every forum I can find and normally I dont post all becuase I know I how to research and read for myself how to do things. But, this has stumped me. I get into the OS X install just fine using unifail method over USB. My problem starts after trying to run the latest multifail. I do choose Mac mini due to the INTEL HD 3000 as the profile. Please PM me if you like or hit me on gtalk solja.b

Yeah, not sure what to do about the Intel HD 3000, has anyone gotten it to work successfully?

As for steps, not sure if I can remember exactly but I think I basically did this:

- Created a myHack installation USB disk, and also checked out EDP 3 onto the USB stick into a separate folder for after installation..same thing for multifail too.

- Used the USB stick to do the install. Created 2 partitions...one for OSX, another empty (for dual boot)

- After the install I rebooted and I think a lot of things were working (this may not work for you)

- Ran multifail and installed VoodooHDA (latest) for sound and added SSDT for the i7 from multifail. I also installed the intel e1000 kext for ethernet.

- Then I looked around the EDP 3 area and copied the org. chameleon.boot.plist and DSDT.aml for the e6400-e6500 and I think some of the other kexts to /E/E

- After all that I ran myHack to update stuff (and also install the myHack utils stuff)

All of this was done over many many attempts (not sure if it can all be done together or if I missed something).

As for the intel graphics, not sure what to do, however, you may be able to find a DSDT.aml that has support for the intel graphics that you have and you will probably have to manually compare and edit your DSDT to put information about your graphics card in there.

• Administrators

Dear byped,

Can you zip and post your /Extra so that other members can try it out.

Offcourse, its work in progress as your Intel HD3000 and trackpad is yet to work. Maybe other members can add support for those. rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Ha, OK, I found out that Alt was actually working like the command key :) oy...and the home and end keys do something in the browser...goes to top and bottom of screen...but in the terminal it doesn't do anything...I did find that holding command+(left or right arrow) moves to home or end...just wish the home and end keys would work like normal.

bpedman, for your trackpad, you should be using the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. I've attached them in a .zip below.

As for your frustrations with keymappings, I strongly recommend installing DoubleCommand (http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/)

KB_Trackpad.zip

bpedman, for your trackpad, you should be using the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. I've attached them in a .zip below.

Missing the attachment.

Would these will help with side-scrolling or 2 finger scrolling? I actually did get the trackpad working, just not as a trackpad, only as a mouse (no scrolling)...I heavily use the trackpad scrolling and it drives me nuts not having that.

I just started looking at some sources I have found for these to see if I can get it working. I found one set of kexts that made side scrolling work but the movement was crazy and moving left and down didn't work right (acted like I was pressing one of the mouse keys and jumped around). Might be a while but we will see if I can get it working.

As for your frustrations with keymappings, I strongly recommend installing DoubleCommand (http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/)

Thanks, that looks great!

Missing the attachment.

Would these will help with side-scrolling or 2 finger scrolling? I actually did get the trackpad working, just not as a trackpad, only as a mouse (no scrolling)...I heavily use the trackpad scrolling and it drives me nuts not having that.

I just started looking at some sources I have found for these to see if I can get it working. I found one set of kexts that made side scrolling work but the movement was crazy and moving left and down didn't work right (acted like I was pressing one of the mouse keys and jumped around). Might be a while but we will see if I can get it working.

Thanks, that looks great!

Wacky. Not sure why the attachment didn't go through the first time, edited post above. Sadly, no gesture support, and TBH I find it weirdly sensitive, so much so that my thumbs are constantly accidentally moving the cursor while I type. But hey, it beats having to carry a mouse around everywhere you go.