MackBook Pro or Hackintosh

ptesone

So, i've wanted a MacBook Pro for quite sometime now, actually ever since I seen my friends 1st intel MacBook Pro back in 2006.

I was amazed at it's metallic sleekness, bewildered at it's speed and smoothnes, awestruck by it's intuitive software interface, after it all he only paid almost $3000 for it from Apple. (The last time I had spent 3 grand on something it was a huge drum set, but that's a different story).

Now we hit the fast forward button 6 years later. I've been saving for a used/refurbished MacBook Pro for a few months now, I'm about 1/3 of the way there, & here's the problem:

right now, I can buy pretty much any i5 setup, be it Levono, HP, Dell for what I have saved and make a pretty descent Hackintosh, as my Dell Latitude, but only faster. OR I can wait, save up a little more and get a real mac laptop, with not as new hardware, but it will be a real mac. (I use my mac's for video editing/ sound recording). . .

I'm currently signed up http://refurb-tracker.com/ and made my recipe for IFTTT

And get this, I have this friend who is wanting to get rid of his refurbished 17" MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo, nVidia 8600M graphics, 4 Gig's DDR2), but it's a 2007 model and it's not quite what I'm looking for, although the flat matte screen absolutely rocks, I told him I would pay no more than $450 for it, seeing that it's a 5 y/o laptop, and that I can get something allot nicer (PC) for the price.

btw, here's a video i posted of it trying it out with a simple H.264 render from Final Cut Pro 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR4a5Lz0kKc

I've decided I'm going to wait and hold out for the real thing, I did buy a iMac from Apple last year and haven't regretted a thing. I know good things come to those that wait, so we'll see if that's true. . .

on a personal note:

What if a person buys a mac with Mountain Lion on it, but needs to re-install and has no disc because when he bought it, it was already on it! When my Mac partition failed on my iMac, I rebooted into recovery, logged into my account and it downloaded straight from Apple - weird!

EDIT 12/2/12:

I bought a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) with no regrets, so fast and snappy- everything I wish my D620 was.

But I will always be a hacker at heart, I still need to get an AM2+ motherboard so I can resurrect my old Phenom quad core.

Edited by ptesone
update!