[Solved] E7470: Monterey to Ventura

kjstech

I have a Latitude E7470 working great on Monterey.  I wanted to see if I can update to Ventura via apples system update.  It installs but OC adds a new Macintosh boot icon, but it freezes on booting it.  I changed back to the mac boot icon to get into Monterey.

I then find on this forum an OC 8.5 so I prepared a usb stick.  When I boot from it to the recovery , its verbose mode and runs through a bunch of things but then it reboots the laptop and back to the DELL screen.

Am I just better off staying on Monterey?

Oh more info the upgrade installs and then on reboot hangs on:
apfs_module_start

So I just defaulted to Monterey now in OpenCore.

My Monterey install is based off this:
https://github.com/Smuger12/Hackintosh_Dell_Latitude_E7470

• Administrators

Ventura dropped support for Skylake platforms on which it can only run with tricks. If you read the various guides and/or threads we have about Ventura on Skylake E7x70 laptops, you'll see that there are pre-requisites you need to respect. You'll need to:

1. fake a Kaby Lake platform -> switch from MBP13,1 to MBP14,1
  2. fake KBL graphics since SKL are no longer supported and no SKL drivers are provided -> inject KBL framebuffer layout 0x59160000 (or 0x591b0000) and iGPU device id 0x5916
  3. update Lulu and Whatevergreen to latest version (WEG v1.6.1 minimum) -> Whatevergreen will then apply the necessary patches to fake SKL as KBL graphics

Rest should be unchanged.

Note that it's a lot easier to use Clover in that context because it'll allow you to boot Monterey with a separate additional target Ventura config (manually add boot arg -igfxsklaskbl for Monterey only), download the Ventura installation app and install Ventura. Thereafter, you just need to call on that config as default to boot Ventura. If something goes wrong, you just boot Monterey as usual.

With OpenCore, you don't have that option to call on a separate config file so you must ensure your file is 100% correct from the onset. Better to have a bootable USB key for backup...

See these, among other things:

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks, I have 1 and 3 done but I think I missed out on your point 2 above.

Theres a lot of good info here.

Also some people got it to work but after the system is idle and it analyzes photos it kernel panics.  The mediaanalyzer process has been an issue, even on M1 macs.  I might wait this out.

My Monterey with OC 0.8.5 works ok... well I should reprase.  On battery its really stable, flawless almost.  On AC Adapter I get strange issues.  Like network drops - says im on wifi but I get no connection or pings. Even if I plug in an ethernet cable.  Or I get random freezes and have to hold the power button down to reboot.  I had Open core 0.8.3 before and I dont recall the issue... I have to scour my config.

Yes Im macbookpro14,1

As long as I charge it and use it on battery its really good.

• Administrators
On 2/6/2023 at 7:39 PM, Hervé said:

[...]

1. [...]
  2. fake KBL graphics since SKL are no longer supported and no SKL drivers are provided -> inject KBL framebuffer layout 0x59160000 (or 0x591b0000) and iGPU device id 0x5916

[...]

Means you need to fake Kaby Lake (KBL) graphics since Skylake (SKL) graphics are no longer supported, Apple having dropped support for all pre-Kaby Lake MacBook platforms (+ others) in Ventura.

Also look at the WhateverGreen User Manual and our GPU support thread.