Fan problem (m4400)

serpao

Hi all.

I have ML 10.8.5 installed in my m4400. Everything is working perfectly,  but one thing is annoying me since the beginning.

Fan runs full speed all the time. Doing nothing with the laptop, is completely full and doesnt stop. It´s really annoying, and i have no idea if is about the fan control, the power managent, ..etc. Temperatures are always between 60-80 constantly if this date can help. 

I have searched a lot about the issue, but nothing found.

Ty in advance, 

Serpao

• Administrators

That would be the emulated SpeedStep and that is available through EDP System Build kext options. For native SpeedStep, which is better, look at the article I posted last May about tuning performance with FakeSMC kext.

Enabling SpeedStep in the BIOS does not necessarily result in SpeedStep being activated on a Hackintosh, quite the contrary. You often need the appropriate software (emulated SpeedStep kext + monitoring apps) or one of the recent FakeSMC kext from Kozlek. In your case (i.e. M4400 laptop), you will gain native SpeedStep by following the procedure explained in my article; I've validated it with a forum member on his M4400 very recently.

Ok,i have done everything. But in these steps:

8) At the bottom of the Keys list, open down REVRVBF and RVUF. By default, FakeSMC is using SMC version 1.30f3 which is displayed in Data field as 01300F00 0003.
9) in order to modify FakeSMC to a different SMC version, all of these 3 keys have to be modified. This is done by double clicking on the 6bytes value and replacing it by the targeted SMC value.

I have by default "01330F00 0008" , what is exactly the same as i should put in.  So i guess i dont need change anything and speedstep is enabled correctly. 

(I guess you did it when you helped me by teamviewer) 

• Administrators

Ha true, you WERE that forum member! :$ 

Then you have nothing more to do, I already setup your system for native SpeedStep. Do you still see the CPU throttling in HWMonitor? If T° remains high and fan often on full speed, you could look into opening the laptop to clear it off any dust residue that may have gathered in front of the fan and also renew the thermal paste for better cooling.

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it is impossible that the issue is caused because dust/residues. In the windows dualboot, i can play "high-specs" games and the fan goes perfect, but in my Hackintosh i open only the explorer, and fan goes full speed forever, until i close the pc.

By the way, i have found this https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1764-mountain-lion-on-e6400-in-5-steps/page-3. If u goes to the #43 post, u can see how the author of the thread had the same issue as me, but i think nobody could answer him.

• Administrators

Then, the current system profile may not match your actual hardware. Try and identify the most likely MacBook match in the Apple list and edit your SMBIOS plist + FakeSMC accordingly.

Or try NullCPUPowerManagement as indicated in that old post.