SE30

SE30

-Where you are from/where you live.

Northern Michigan, USA

-How long you have used a hackint0sh (if this is your first time, state that you are new to this).

I'm not new, but I'm not experienced, either. I built my first hackintosh in 2010 after reading about them since 2005. I still consider myself new to integrating PC components and Mac OS X into a hackintosh as I've used Macintoshs since my first Macintosh - a SE/30.

-A brief summary of your experiences in hackint0shing (if any).

I am a user of computers, not a computer science person. So, I want them to just work and for me. That's why I've always preferred Macintoshs. After Apple began using Intel processors, I began to notice how easy it was becoming to build and install Mac OS X on PC hardware. Thus, I build my 1st non Apple H/W computer in 2010 - a GA-P55M-UD4 / i7-875K / Gigabyte 5770 / OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (Lion 10.7.5) / 500GB HDD (Win7/Ubuntu) / 1TB HDD (data) computer which still works great today. I am finishing assembling GA-Z77X-UP5 TH / i5-3570K / HD4000 based system.

-What triggered your interest in hackint0sh.

In 2005, I started to realize that my hot rodded Sawtooth (1.5 GHz G4 processor, etc.) was at the end of life, and my new G5 wouldn't hold out much longer. But, after paying "big bucks" (slang for lots of money) for the G5, I knew my next computer better cost a lot less than the G5. So, I started paying attention to the hackint0sh forum sections at MacRumors and InsanelyMac. I retired in 2010 and now had the time to devote to building a hacktin0sh to keep my technical curiosity satisfied. (I'm a retired Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineer with an MBA. Truly a lover of aerospace vehicles.)

-Your general computer skill level.

As I stated above, I'm a user of computers and have learned to get the most out of them to do my tasks. As a young engineer in the early 70's, I had to write all my computer programs in FORTRAN using the super computers of that time. Later, as a senior executive manager, I took MIS courses as electives for my MBA degree. During my career, I managed a MIS program, learning that the "M" in MIS stood for Management, not My (information System). Consequently, as my IT guys use to tell me, I know enough to be dangerous. :D

-List any technical experience you have in various operating systems and programming languages (if any).

No technical OS or programming expertise to speak of. My last programming experience was LISP back in 1987. I can barely spell "kext" or "plst". I know nothing of today's programming languages and have no desire to learn. However, I am familiar with Apples OS 6-9 and OS X. I am also familiar with enough *NIX to work in the Terminal if I really have to do it. I'm probably a Jr. Super User.

-If you have any talents/skills that you would like to offer to help the community (optional).

Common sense :D and I always approach doing tasks using risk management which gets me organized.