Use media base with D420

pilgrim

I haven't found any info in the wiki, apart from a couple of mentions about people's setups, but nothing about using the media base.

I have a D430 Core Duo with 2GB of RAM, Intel graphics and Snow Leopard 10.6.6, bios A09.

I tried installing Snow Leopard with the D430 in the media base, but got kernel panics at startup.

I thought it might be a problem with installing 10.6 for the first time, so I installed without the media base and everything went great.

The D430 has 10.6.6 and everything is working fine.

But I got another kernel panic when I put it into the media base.

Is anyone else using the media base? Did you have to do any special kext installs? Should it just work out of the box?

Thanks.

I haven't found any info in the wiki, apart from a couple of mentions about people's setups, but nothing about using the media base.

I have a D430 Core Duo with 2GB of RAM, Intel graphics and Snow Leopard 10.6.6, bios A09.

I tried installing Snow Leopard with the D430 in the media base, but got kernel panics at startup.

I thought it might be a problem with installing 10.6 for the first time, so I installed without the media base and everything went great.

The D430 has 10.6.6 and everything is working fine.

But I got another kernel panic when I put it into the media base.

Is anyone else using the media base? Did you have to do any special kext installs? Should it just work out of the box?

Thanks.

Well, I never managed to use media base and I am not avare of anyone who did. The focus of the team was to get as many different Latitudes OSXed as good as possible. Hence, the media base (or port replicators) is one of those things in need of some additional wok to be done.

So, if someone knowledgeable and with some spare time on their hands is reading this and is willing to give it a try - we all be happy to provide the results to the OSXLatitude community. :)

Sorry mate!

Well, I never managed to use media base and I am not avare of anyone who did. The focus of the team was to get as many different Latitudes OSXed as good as possible. Hence, the media base (or port replicators) is one of those things in need of some additional wok to be done.

So, if someone knowledgeable and with some spare time on their hands is reading this and is willing to give it a try - we all be happy to provide the results to the OSXLatitude community. :)

Sorry mate!

Okay, no problem. I don't think I would have used it much, but it was good to know. Thanks.

By the way, I just wanted to ask. I see from your sig that you have a Samsung HS122JC. Did you have any problems formatting and using it with the Mac OS? Is it the drive that's used in iPods? I'm asking because I have a 120GB Samsung HS12YHA that is supposed to be for the Macbook Air, but I am unable to use it properly with the MacOS. I've installed Snow Leopard on another D430 with this Samsung drive, and everything seems to work okay, but I can't boot from the hard drive. I always get GPT error. I can boot to the USB pen I use to install Snow Leopard, and then choose the hard disk in Chameleon, and it boots and runs okay. From what I read on the web, the problem might be some firmware or bios that Apple has put in the drive. As well, I can install Windows 7 on it and it runs without any problems.

Okay, no problem. I don't think I would have used it much, but it was good to know. Thanks.

By the way, I just wanted to ask. I see from your sig that you have a Samsung HS122JC. Did you have any problems formatting and using it with the Mac OS? Is it the drive that's used in iPods? I'm asking because I have a 120GB Samsung HS12YHA that is supposed to be for the Macbook Air, but I am unable to use it properly with the MacOS. I've installed Snow Leopard on another D430 with this Samsung drive, and everything seems to work okay, but I can't boot from the hard drive. I always get GPT error. I can boot to the USB pen I use to install Snow Leopard, and then choose the hard disk in Chameleon, and it boots and runs okay. From what I read on the web, the problem might be some firmware or bios that Apple has put in the drive. As well, I can install Windows 7 on it and it runs without any problems.

Sorry, I really don't know anything about iPod Classic.

Well, my HD just works. But, in the beginning of my OSXLatitude history I had similar issues. Booting from stick was OK but from HD always KP'd. It was weird. However, we (OSXLatitude team and I, as a user) found out that I was using case sensitive format of the drive. This somehow didn't go well with Chameleon. After a reformat with Extended (Journaled) but sans "Case Sensitive" my HD started to work flawlessly. So, check the format of your HD. This might be the reason for your issues. If not, I am out of my depth then. Someone else might chime in and help.