Hervé

Unsupported GPU / graphics cards

Last updated: 28 Jan 2019

We still get recurring questions about some well-known and older unsupported GPUs and graphics cards, so let's try and make a quick recap here. The list can be completed as required and necessary. The list will only apply to SL 10.6 and beyond, not before.

Intel

• GMA 900: unsupported since SL
  • GMA 950: supported in SL and Lion in 32bit kernel mode only; unsupported since ML
  • GMA 3100/3150: unsupported
  • GMA 3000/X3000: unsupported
  • GMA X3100: supported in SL and Lion in 32bit kernel mode only; unsupported since ML  
  • GMA 4500/4500M/4500MHD/4700MHD: unsupported
  • GMA HD/GMA 5700MHD/1st gen Intel HD (eg: Arrandale CPUs): partially (CI only) or fully (QE/CI) supported on laptops in SL, Lion, ML and beyond depending on built-in LCD connector (LVDS=full support, eDP=partial support); unsupported since Mojave. Refer to bible thread on the matter.
  • HD 2000 & Sandy Bridge Intel HD: unsupported
  • HD 3000: supported from SL to High Sierra; unsupported since Mojave
  • HD 2500 & Ivy Bridge Intel HD: unsupported in SL and Lion; apparently supported in ML from 10.8.3; unsupported since Mavericks, though some people reported partial support (CI only) in El Capitan for instance
  • Haswell Intel HD: unsupported
  • Broadwell Intel HD: unsupported

• Bay Trail Intel HD: unsupported
  • Cherry Trail Intel HD: unsupported
  • Braswell Intel HD: unsupported

nVidia

• GeForce 6x00 and similar: unsupported since SL
  • GeForce 7x00 and similar: supported in SL and Lion in 32bit mode only; unsupported since ML
  • Tesla generation: unsupported since Mojave
  • GeForce GT610 (Fermi 2.0 GF119): supported ML -> El Capitan; poorly supported (buggy) in Sierra and High Sierra; unsupported since Mojave
  • GeForce GTX 660M (Kepler GK107): apparently unsupported (?)
  • Quadro NVS 4200M (Fermi 2.0 GF119): supported ML -> El Capitan. Unsupported since Sierra
  • Quadro NVS 5200M (Fermi 2.0 GF117): supported ML -> El Capitan. Unsupported since Sierra
  • pre-Kepler: unsupported since Mojave
  • post-Kepler (eg: Maxwell, Pascal): unsupported in Mojave due to lack of Web driver to date

ATI/AMD

• X300/X600/X700: unsupported
  • X1300/X1400/X15x0: supported up to SL; limited support (CI only) in Lion; unsupported since ML
  • X1600: supported in SL and Lion; unsupported since ML
  • pre-CGN 1.0: unsupported since Mojave

NB: Obsolete GPUs for which Apple dropped official support after Lion 10.7.5 (e.g.: GMA950/X3100, GeForce 7x00, ATI X1600) can be supported in ML with MLPF hack (essentially, a hack that runs pseudo ML in 32bit mode with DP1 32/64bit kernel and kexts). More details in our article on the matter.

• Like 2

So only from Ivy bridge Intel GPU's work from 10.14 ? What about dGPUs from nvidia and AMD ? Got a list or some you know. Would be great if we write an article about it with some research. 

• Like 1

For anyone installing Mojave on a system with previous generation Intel HD Graphics, this might give you some hope...

I am installing Mojave on an old Biostar TH55HD (Socket 1156) with Intel I5-660 CPU (Clarkedale) and 8GB DDR3.   I created a Mojave Installer USB and installed CLOVER Bootloader (Legacy) R4769.  I extracted the DSDT (CLOVER F4) and performed minor edits to resolve compile errors.  I then applied some very basic DSDT patches and saved the DSDT in the USB EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.  Without any kexts or CLOVER flags, Mojave recognized the I5-660 HD Graphics.  My display resolution is 1280x1024.

I plan to install a Radeon Graphics Card, but to get started, I am using the Intel HD Graphics on the I5-660.  

It's one thing getting Mojave to recognize your 1st gen HD graphics iGPU (i.e. report it correctly in About thisMac) and another getting this iGPU supported with full acceleration (which you do not with what you've described). Please see note NB #2 of post #1 and the well-known 1st gen Intel HD graphics bible at InsanelyMac, starting at p76.

In case you still ignored it, Mojave does not natively support 1st gen Intel HD graphics, hence no kext. No kext = no support...

I'm using DosDude's Mojave Patcher on 4 systems with Nvidia (non-metal) graphics and video is working perfectly on all with Mojave 10.14.5: Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia NVS 3100M), Thinkpad T61 (Nvidia NVS 140m), DIY Desktop Socket 1156 / (GeForce 9800GT), DIY Desktop Socket 775/771 (GeForce 8600GT).  DosDude's patcher (currently using version 1.3.3) has extended the life of these old system.  All running Xcode 10.2 and graphics acceleration works perfectly.