[WIP] HP Envy Sleekbook m6-k015dx

bobdamnit

This is a work in progress thread for installing OS X 10.11 El Capitan on the HP Envy Sleekbook m6-k015dx.

I just acquired this second hand. Originally I had purchased another laptop that was fairly well known to be compatible with OS X, but I like a challenge. So I packed that up and gave it to my girlfriend with El Capitan installed and went out and bought this. 

Specs: 

- Intel Core i5 4200U 1.66Ghz, 2.6Ghz Turbo Boost

- 8Gb 800Mhz DDR3 RAM

- Intel HD 4400 Mobile 

- LED display (1366x768) with touch capabilities

- Ethernet (I dont care what, I wont use it)

- Intel Centrino Wifi + Bluetooth (Removed and replaced with AW-CEH123h)

- Beats audio (IDT HD Audio CODEC) with subwoofer

- 500Gb solid-state drive (replaced the 1Tb fusion drive)

- Synaptics touchpad (THANK GOD!!!)

All this came from the Windows version of lspci. 

Audio might be a problem because I doubt the subwoofer will ever work. Even in Windows, its very quiet. I doubt the touch screen will ever work in OS X, and thats fine. I know I can make the HD 4400 work with full QE/CI as far as 10.10.2, but beyond that I'm not sure. 

Some things I've noticed about the machine:

- It does not have a WiFi card whitelist, so feel free to drop any WiFi/Bluetooth card in there, as long as its mini half height

- Disassembling the machine is very easy. 14 screws on the bottom remove the back plate. Be careful tightening them back up as they will dent the palm rest easily. I found this out the hard way. 

- The touchscreen works very well, actually. I find it every bit as easy to use as my iPad. 

- The original power cord that came with it is under recall for being a potential fire hazard. I suggest replacing it for free from HP. You will need to send your old one back, so you will be without a charger for a few days. 

- You do not have the option of changing to AHCI because the machine is stuck in RAID mode due to the original fusion drive. I'm not sure how this will affect installing OS X, but I doubt it will be much of a challenge.

I will not be outlining how you install 10.11 on the machine. I do not care how you do it as long as you use original install media and not a pre-made version. I will not support that. We should all know how to install OS X on our machines by now.

I cannot find much on this machine for running OS X. I apologize in advance for the external links, but for posterity I'm going to link what is available already.

Threads about this model:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304184-hp-envy-ts-m6-k015dx-yosemite-installation/

Threads about similar models:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283609-guide-hp-pavilion-m6-1045dx-mountain-lion/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-10851091010/

As this progresses I will be updating this post with more/new information for making everything work.