Success, Thanks, OSX Upgrades

Freedomrock

Thanks to the files on this site and tips in this forum (and other forums) my D630 with Intel Video and Dell 1395 wifi is up and running. I was able to get my 1395 Dell wi-fi card to work (after I ordered a replacement :-)) without re-branding. I may change card out if i decide for duel boot with Unix but it turns out I didn't need a new card for OSX. There were tips in the forum for adding wi-fi card to id string via terminal.

As part of the upgrade process I installed a 500 GB Seagate Hybrid drive. This D630 is quite responsive with 4 mb of ram and OSX 10.6.3. Everything seems stable.....

I am currently at 6.3.3. I would like to upgrade to 6.8.8. I plan on backing up my Extras folder and then applying upgrade. Do I just upgrade OSX and then do new build in EDP?

Some final tweaks....on board video is limited to 1024 X 768. I think I should be able to get 1200 X 900 or something like that. Also using function key for external video was a no go.

Any suggestions for external video (Intel) and/or higher resolution options? Is there a specific kext file or is this something in the dsdt file?

A big thank you to all that had a part in putting this site together!

Freedomrock

Knoxville, TN USA

Edit - The upgrade to 6.8.8 went ok. Somehow lost wireless (Dell 1395) even after I made the same changes that enabled card in 10.6.3. Everything is slower. I ran EDP 1.9.2 for D630 after osx upgrade. Cleared cache, re-built permissions, re-boot and it is still slow.

Any suggestions? I may just roll back to 6.3 and be happy.

Dell D630, Intel Video, Dell 1395 wifi, EDP 1.9.2 (Everything worked on 6.3.3)

Edit - Reinstalled 6.3.3 with EDP 1.9.2 and everything works including my 1395 wifi card. I still only have 1024 X768 resolution. Should I try Graphics Enabler on Lizard?

Edited by Freedomrock