Latitude 5480 Sierra

mdub

Hi guys, after an extended, ultimately unsuccessful bout with my E5470 I'm thinking of getting a Latitude 5480. I know its super new and not much info but I'm trying to get a sense of how feasible that model would be for Sierra.

Specs:

- i7-7820HQ Quad Core

- 8gb DDR4 2400

- 1tb Samsung 960 Pro NVME SSD (aftermarket replacement

- Intel HD 630/Nvidia mx930 graphics

- 14" FHD non-touch screen

- USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 port

- DW1560 wifi (aftermarket repalcement)

- ??? ethernet

- ??? realtek audio?

Questions:

- CPU: needs fake ID as Kaby Lake is still unsupported by macOS. From what I've read Kaby Lake generates P/C states for CPU/GPU power management automatically with appropriate SMBIOS, no need for SSDTprgen or HWP. any other info?

- GPU: I'm thinking of getting the model with Nvidia GPU for doing some graphics work in windows. this would obviously need to be disabled in Sierra via DSDT/SSDT patching, is this generally doable? Intel 630HD Graphics would presumably need FakeID + DVMT set to boot then a similar skylake ig-platform ID for acceleration. anything I'm missing with that?

- Trackpad: according to a chat with a Dell rep the trackpad is now I2C, so I'd need to use VoodooI2C, correct? need to investigate this further...

- Keyboard: probably I2C as well?

- USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3: TB3 only available on model with dedicated GPU. I don't really need TB3 but it would be nice to have to have the USB 3.1 port working. The functionality of the TB3 port is intertwined with the Nvidia GPU so if I disable the GPU then TB3 would likely not work. I wonder if USB 3.1 would still work without the GPU...

- nvme SSD: Sierra installer USB needs config.plist 10.12.3 patch from hackrnvme github repo to install OS then I'd use the hackrnvme script to generate a patched kext for SSD functionality once installed, correct?

- HDMI?

- ethernet? IntelMausiEthernet.kext presumably?

- Wifi: will install DW1560, I already know what patches to do for that

- audio: no idea, probably won't have chipset details until I buy it.

anything else I'm missing? thanks again for all the help.

• Moderators

You could check this link for example of Kabylake hacking. We were able to get full QE/CI with FakeID of Skylake ig-platform-id of HD520. Yours might be using ig-platform-id of HD530. HDMI audio was not working with fake HD 520 so far, but at least internal audio is working.

Update: HDMI audio works now!