"Updates Available" in App Store (El Capitan)

dbrannon79

Hello all,  I have successfully installed El Capitan 10.11.6 on my e6420 machine with the help of Jake Lo and his guide.  so far it seems 99% working!  (1% is not a true Mac)  Ive recently noticed software updates available in the app store and wondered if it is safe to allow the updates.   I'm sure this has been asked before in the forum but searching has not turned up anything related.  at the moment I don't plan to update to Sierra or High Sierra os, but like to keep app and security updates up to par.  at the moment I see the updates shown in the attached photo.   just wanted to know if these are safe from breaking anything.  also if there are others I need to steer clear from!

Thanks 

My system..

Dell latitude E6420 i5-2520m  8gb ram, 240gb ssd

Legacy EFI Clover, El Capitan, Windows 10 Pro

Appstore.tiff

• Moderators

Yes, updates installs just fine. Rule of thumb, after any updates / changes, always repair permission and rebuild cache.

Both Sierra and High Sierra run just as well as El Capitan on this system.

If you plan to upgrade to them, make sure to update the bootpack and Clover loader prior.

Since you're on Clover, you can upgrade directly to Sierra or High Sierra just like a real Mac.

that sounds great!  if I attempt to upgrade the os to Sierra or High Sierra later on, since I really haven't backed up any kexts or patches, and really don't remember everything I changed to get it all working.  what would be the best option to make a backup other than cloning the os to an external drive?   I know your bootpack will probably have just about everything I need, just thought I'd ask

Thanks

• Moderators

Best backup is to have working bootable USB installer hanging around incase anything break during upgrade.

Also have a copy of the working Clover folder along with all the kexts you had installed to /L/E and or /S/L/E.

since i didn't keep track of kexts I installed and modified. tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that if I sort all my files by date modified, that will tell me what I need to set aside for safe keeping. see attached photo.

I had some kexts in /L/E but found that most were also in /S/L/E or in clover/kexts so I deleted the folder and all still worked fine. Not sure if that was a smart move!

Thanks

Files.tiff

• Moderators

Not sure what folder are you referring to that you deleted.

You should keep all everything in the Clover folder

To determine what kexts you have installed or modified, run this. It'll list all the kexts that are either in /L/E or /S/L/E that are not system vanilla files. Those kexts you need to keep

sudo kextcache -i /