D630 and 1440x900 Display Instructions

jerseydan31

Hello Everyone,

just trying to get some help (newbie here).

Have successfully installed Lion on D630 with Intel Graphics (BTW...this site is the best place for help!!).

Few questions:

- how do I know if my display can support 1440x900? It's currently in 1280x800. I'm not sure at this point (I guess maybe the D630 came with different physical screens)

- if it does (support 1440x900), how do I accomplish this task (getting the higher resolution)? I've looked all over and I'm still unable to find step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this task (downloading the appropriate DSDT.aml file, editing the appropriate file(s))

As part of the second question......I'm unable to find any display setting in my chameleon.plist boot file (nothing that specifies 1280x800 resolution)....both in the /Extra folder and in the /Extra/Models/D630-intel folder.

This is what my org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like (in both places):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I was able to find and download the appropriate DSDT.aml file and placed it in both folders (/Extra and /Extra/Models/D630-intel) and ran the edptool.command script......still in same resolution.

Please HELP!!!

THX!

Guest ChAntoine

To myself the best place to get that is in the bios. In the first section, there's a sub-section (named Device info, as far as I remember) where you'll see 1440x900 or something else.

Regarding the rest, I'd say there's in this forum a dsdt file for high rez (look at the thread stating pb with 1440x900). With that file, I've been able to boot provided that: either at the boot, you state "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" or simpler : edit the org.chameleon.... file in /Extra to tweak the right resolution.

This worked for me (at least to start the install, because I'm stopped just after the beginning of the install...)

Hope this helps

ChAntoine answer is correct.

You just need to add into your org.chameleon,Boot.plist the section about Graphics Mode and 1440x900x32 as below :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Do NOT change the spelling of anything or the Lower and Upper case letters in the name of the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

It may also be shown on Dell's website in the "My Configuration" section - If you goto Dell.com and then find the support section, put in your service tag from the bottom of your laptop and then goto the configuration section it may list it there as well.