E7470 won't detect/boot USB in UEFI mode

loldude

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my E7470 to detect/run my Catalina installer USB. I have updated bios to latest 1.22.8, I have secure boot off, legacy disabled, etc. I made the USB using my iMac and using the terminal command in the guide, then installed the latest Clover on the drive and put the correct bootpack files in EFI/Clover and all that jazz, and every time I try to boot it(pressing f12 at the dell power on screen) it never shows up in the list of bootable drives. I've tried updating every kext I possibly could, I've tried various bios options(disabling/enabling TPM and small tweaks like that before starting all over again and again), and I've tried 3 different USB drives from 3 different brands in all 3 of the USB ports on this machine. It's frustrating because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this machine to boot a USB stick in UEFI mode, let alone detect it. Looking at the drive (even with hidden files shown using Cmd+Shift+.) and everything appears to be there and in order. I haven't found anyone on here with this issue using the search function(most people actually make it to the part where the installer starts before running into problems) but I did find this article: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln302982/usb-boot-device-missing-from-the-f12-boot-menu-on-the-latitude-e7470?lang=en

The problem with that is that the only solution they list is to update the bios, which I've done. Maybe I'm missing a key step in making the USB bootable, but I've followed the guide carefully and multiple times, so I'm starting to wonder if it really is just a problem with my machine.

I followed the Catalina guide here:

And used the bootpack from the mojave section here: https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/9179-dell-latitude-e7x70-clover-uefi-only/

Yes, HFSPlus.efi is in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI. The drive is also formatted correctly. In disk utility I set it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and Scheme is "GUID Partition Map"(when formatting of course). I'm going to give it another shot using an external HDD instead of a USB flash drive. For some reason, I can get Windows 10 installer to show up in UEFI one time boot menu(f12) using this external hdd, but not when using any of the 3 USB sticks, so maybe it will be the same with macOS/clover.(I've been experimenting since I made the original post) Now all signs point to all three flash drives being garbage/not playing nice with this laptop for some reason. Thank you for taking the time to reply and I will update this post as soon as I try that.

Just wanted to update to say the installer boots fine from the external hdd. Looks like I need to do some testing on these USB drives and/or bios and I hope if anyone else has the same problem and comes here from Google they can see what solved the problem for me. Even if you have three of them from three different brands. What are the odds? Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.