[Solved] Latitude E6430: problems post-install Catalina

kb T

Hello, I am having problems with catalina 10.15.7 on dell e6430 (intel i7 3520m, intel hd 4000 with nvidia chip model, bios a23)

I will attach a photo with the kexts that I have, they are in clover-kexts-others.

-Only starts in safe mode.

-USB does not recognize them in fat 32.

-the wifi does not work "the icon appears but it does not turn on or detect" (DW1510)

-There is no audio.

I guess my config.plist is wrong, I honestly don't know how to generate a correct one and my clover configurator doesn't work. Could someone help me configure a correct config.plist for my machine and guide me as to which kext would be useful to me. I am not very skilled at this, I hope someone can help me, I have already read a lot and tried several solutions that I see in posts but I can't. In Mojave everything worked correctly.

Thanks...

IMG_20240215_220852.jpg

• Administrators

Re: DW1510, it's perfectly normal given that Catalina dropped support for such cards. All the necessary information was published in the relevant wireless card inventory available in our Technical Info section.

Re: audio, you probably have a duff config setting re: layout id.

Please post a zipped copy the the following EFI contents you use:

• Clover config file
  • ACPI folder of injected patched tables
  • kexts folder

Which version of Clover do you use?

Hello Hervé, in a new attempt today I am using the files and following the steps one by one in your guide. I have achieved the same result...I think the only thing I could have done wrong is generate the SSDT with pike r alpha. Could you help me generate the SSDT to make sure it is correct? while I will try another version of clover. thanks for taking the time....

Screenshot_2024-02-16-08-39-09-458_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Administrators

Careful because the pack I posted for the E6230 does not fully apply to your E6430 which has Optimus technology. In your case, you need to make sure Optimus is enabled in BIOS settings so that HD4000 iGPU is enabled and you have to use an ACPI patch to disable the unsupported nVidia dGPU (this will avoid unnecessary battery drain by the dGPU).

Re: CPU power management, don't use the SSDT from my E6230 guide, it's not for your CPU. You can generate your own CPU power management through Pike R Alpha's script tool; it's still available on the Net: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

Just follow the indications. If you require them, the specs of your i7-3520M are available here but they should already be in the script's CPU database.

Hello, I have generated the ssdt with the piker alpha tool, but it generates an ssdt.dsl, which I must replace is ssdt.aml.

Should I convert it or generate an .aml?

If so, what is the process, I can't find any information and what I have read is quite confusing.

This is not explained in the installation guide and I have that doubt, also if the DSDT files that are in the folder are valid for this new SSD that is being replaced.

I have solved the wifi issue but I have read trying to find a solution to the audio and I see that they mention that IDT92hd93 works with voodooHDA but AppleHDA must be eliminated so that it does not generate a conflict.

others mention that AppleALC works but you have to edit from clover configurator... here I run into a couple of problems trying these solutions...

1- clover configurator does not mount the EFi.

I have tried several solutions without success.

2- I have tried several methods to try to delete AppleHDA to test VooodooHDA but they do not work.

If you could guide me one more time I would appreciate it.

After this I will go on my own until I achieve it.

That's the only way you learn.

thanks.

• Administrators

The .dsl file is source code whilst the .aml file is the compiled table, i.e. the one you need. From memory, the tool may put a .dsl on the desktop (or offers you to open/view it?) but you'll find the compiled table under the Library/ssdtPRGen folder of your home directory. This subfolder is available after you execute the script.

Re: audio, it looks like you're looking at it the wrong and complicated way. AppleALC fully supports IDT 92HD93 if you inject correct layout id 12. If you go for VoodooHDA, you need to disable AppleHDA kext through the AppleHDADisabler kext that usually accompanies VoodooHDA. Do not delete AppleHDA from /S/L/E, that really is a bad idea. Keep that system folder full vanilla and untouched. Look for my Toshiba R50 guide, it contains a pack that includes those VoodooHDA+AppleHDADisabler kexts.

Can't see why CC would not mount your EFI partition but you sure can mount it manually with a simple Terminal command:

sudo diskutil mount EFI

It really is as simple as that.

two more questions... Where do you recommend downloading old versions of clover, I need 5127 to test it and where can I download a reliable hackingtool? Regarding the voodooHDA +AppleHDADisabler solution, you do not mention whether the kexts go in clover's EFI or directly in L/E. Regarding mounting the EFI disk, I cannot mount it since I can only boot in safe mode and from terminal either, I have tried your command and others that I have found but they do not work, I see that I am not the only one who faces that problem, Many solve it with another version of Clover but the most current ones won't let me start and I see that I have already changed its configuration and it doesn't have some options that you have in your guide. So any change to my EFI I have to unmount the SSD and do it on another macbook via cable. That has made testing very slow. pfffff.

• Administrators

You may find what you seek through basic "Clover versions" and "Hackintool" Google search... Both have their own official repositories which you should fall upon within seconds. Why would you want clover r5157 specifically though? You found my E6230 guide and it provides a copy of Clover r5058 that worked perfectly for Catalina, so... But rest assured that I could still boot Catalina with more recent versions of Clover such as r515x.

As for VoodooHDA + AppleHDADisabler kexts, do as you wish: either inject them through Clover's kexts folder or install them in /L/E knowing that latter will require you to set correct permissions to kexts and repair cache. I invite you to consult our old but dedicated thread on the matter in our FAQ section if required. Arguably, caching from /L/E is better.

I realise testing can be a little painful but, hey, that's Hackintoshing. Remember that it was never meant to be. You may want to consider a bootable USB key with only Clover on it for testing, that'll save you the hassle of taking your SSD out and back in all the time. Just boot off the USB key, select your maOS partition and off you go.