Vostro 200 SL installation

arcaman6

Hi Guys

Thanks for the very helpful guide. However I'm stuck and wondering if you can help.

I've installed under SL and Lion. Lion works fine but there is no QE/CI support so will not provide functionality I require - so need to get SL working properly.

Have created install USB using MyHack and installed Extra from EDP/10.6. Installation works fine except when reboot to run newly installed SL system boot gets as far as first configuration screen (where you select the country I think) but it is actually black/dark grey and you can not see any graphics - except pointer which moves under mouse control (so OSX seems to be running). Stuck at this point. Have tried connecting monitor to each VGA port in turn - same result.

Maybe relevant but need to use GraphicsEnabler=No to get boot process going (otherwise the boot sequence will hang after 6 or 7 lines). 

System is pretty much the same as the example - I have a fan-less ATI X1300 card.

Thanks in advance 

• Administrators

Yes, QE/CI for the ATI X1300 under Lion (or lack of it) remains work in progress; sorry I've just not spent much time on this recently. Still on my 'ToDo' list...

Regarding the graphics issue you're experiencing with SL, there's a good chance it is due to the default boot setup arrangements. Basically, ATI X1300 is supported at Chameleon level if you use Azimutz's branch boot file + ATI module and it does not look like they're included in the bootpack. As such, there may be a problem with the graphics kexts present in the bootpack, especially the enabler. Without the Azimutz's Cham files (i.e. without low-level legacy ATI support), you will indeed need to boot with option "GraphicsEnabler=No".

I can suggest 2 things:

1) take out the EVOenabler kext from the USB installer /E/E folder or your SL partition /E/E folder and re-run myFix (full) on it

2) use the Generic Extra on your myHack installer, it'll still allow to boot and install SL on the system with basic graphics support. You can subsequently tune and finalise through EDP.

I'll try and do a brand new SL installation on a spare HDD later on...

Thanks for your feedback, it'll help adjust whatever may be necessary.

Many thanks for the feedback and I will report back what happens. 

Regarding Azimutz's Cham files I am having difficulty locating them. Is there a download location for this branch or do you have to check out from the repo and create them from scratch?

Cheers.

• Administrators

I've reproduced the problem. Basically the move to EDP 5.0 does affect this particular installation, so we need to look into it. Meantime, I'll upload the necessary files and put out a quick guide in the research thread.

• Administrators

Ok, done more tests and updated the procedure in the guide. Latest Chameleon (r2170 and beyond) appears to support the ATI X1300 card with patched kexts, so the Azimutz's branch boot file + ATI module are no longer necessary. Somehow, it simplifies the installation a bit.

PS: noticed that using the DVI port is much better than using the VGA one. For instance, screen sleep&wake works on DVI port, not on VGA.