Optiplex 745........ can't boot from drive (snow leopard)

d196er

Hello All,

I'm new to the site and new to the hackintosh experience.  After getting me hands into a optiplex 745 I decided to give my first Hackintosh a go. 

Optiplex 745, Small factor, Pentium D 2.9GHZ, and I'm using the Integrated Graphics that came with the board. BIOS is 2.6.6, and I have set the SATA to legacy.

So far, the only boot loader that works in this machine is iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) (booting from usb with myhack or sata drive wih chameleon)

I follow the directions found on your installation documentation. But I could not boot from the USB no matter what. Finally I tried using iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) and I was able to complete installation from the usb I created from myhack + EDP.

After install, still, I was unable to boot from SATA drive. I can boot into drive with iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), almost everything works but the abiltiy to adjust resolution.  After checking the system info, the integrated graphics is not recognized by the system.

When I try to boot from drive, It hangs at the grey apple logo, (with the osxlatitude logo). I tried booting -v, but after a few lines the screen goes black. I also tried single user mode with the same result.

I've tryied addingn the IOATAFamily Kext to E/E + running myfix. Same issue.  I also tried to changing settings to the chameleon boot file with chameleon wizard (graphics enabler: yes/no).

Any Ideas???

Thank you for your time..!!

• Administrators

The Optiplex 745 is already integrated in EDP, although I admit there are several forms of that particular model. However, they share the same underlying platform.

Did you use the Optiplex 745 boot pack? Can you set your SATA HDD mode to AHCI on the BIOS at all?

I'd also advise you to search for posts about your model on the forum. It's been discussed before.

• Administrators

The Optiplex SFF uses a Q965 Express Intel chipset with GMA3000 integrated graphics. That graphics chip is totally unsupported by Mac OS X so you basically need to add a supported PCIe x16 graphics card to get anywhere (without graphics support, a Hackintosh is hardly usable...). Your choice in that respect could be limited since I believe the SFF model can only accept low-profile cards. I have some experience on that front: my Vostro 200 is the Slim Tower version.

Low-profile cards that will work in SL include:

• ATI Radeon Pro X1300 (Dell fitted a fanless version to some of their Slim PCs (I have it). Available cheaply on ebay)
  • ATI Radeon HD5570
  • nVidia 8400GS
  • nVidia GT520? -> needs confirmation

I believe all those exist in passive/fanless form, which is probably what you need on your Optiplex 745 SFF (Dell's documentation mentions 25W max. on PCIe x16 slot and a 275W power supply). Be careful though, as they may take up 2 slots due to heatsink height/depth.

Intel Q965 chipset operates an ICH8 I/O controller. That is normally supported by the IOATAFamily kext, but if using that kext does not help in seeing/detecting your HDD, you ought to check the PCI device id for your on-board controller as it may differ from the id(s) specified in the kext plugin.

If you open up IOATAFamily kext and browse to the PlugIns folder, you'll see a kext called AppleIntelPIIXATA. In that kext, you'll find a file called Info.plist. This is where details of the I/O controllers can be found.

For instance, this is the sort of things you should find in the plist, for ICH8 controllers:

ICH8 ATA/100

CFBundleIdentifier
            com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA
            Controller Name
            ICH8 ATA/100
            IOClass
            AppleIntelPIIXATARoot
            IOPCIPrimaryMatch
            0x28508086
[...]

ICH8 Serial ATA

CFBundleIdentifier
            Controller Name
            ICH8 SATA
            IOClass
            AppleIntelPIIXATARoot
            IOPCIPrimaryMatch
            0x28208086

[...]

ICH8 2 Port Serial ATA

CFBundleIdentifier
            Controller Name
            ICH9 2PTS SATA
            IOClass
            AppleIntelPIIXATARoot
            IOPCIPrimaryMatch
            0x28258086

[...]

ICH8-M Serial ATA

CFBundleIdentifier
            Controller Name
            ICH8-M SATA
            IOClass
            AppleIntelPIIXATARoot
            IOPCIPrimaryMatch
            0x28288086

[...]

The lines reading provide the full PCI id of the hardware: the 4digits number right after '0x' is the device id and 8086 is the vendor id for Intel.

If you still have Windows running on that Optiplex, you can easily retrieve the device id of your controller: open-up the Device Manager, select your ICH8/SATA HDD controller and right-click to Properties. In the 'Details' tab and you should see PCI device id + vendor id in a line that looks like: "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_xxxx&SUBSYS_--------------". The number displayed after DEV is your PCI device id.

Alternatively, use Terminal command lspci -nn (need kext lspcidrv loaded though).

If the above plist does not contain your particular device id, you need to add it: you can either copy/paste an existing ICH8 section, rename it to something like "ICH8 3" (or whatever you like) and replace the device id by your particular number or you could just overwrite an existing PCI id. You can use a simple editor like TextEdit to make your changes. This process is called patching the plist/patching the kext. No guarantee that it'll work afterwards though...

Note that, to be able to edit the kext plist, you'll probably have to copy it (not move it) away from /E/E before you make your changes, or you're likely to meet a Write access issue. After making and saving your changes, copy the kext back to /E/E (replace the existing file if prompted to) and re-run myFix (quick).

Herve, thank you very much for the info...!!  I got a hold of a radeon hd4350.  I'm not sure how compatible it will be with this set up but I've already found some info about installation and available kexts.  My biggest question about my situation is: Why can I only boot from the legacy iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)??? Even when I try to boot from the usb I created from myhack, still, can't boot.....! If I boot from iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), I can see the usb I created from myhack and I can install SL.  Does the fact that I'm using a Pentium D processor have any effect on the bootloader loading from iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) instead of my sata drive??

By the way, I have updated to boot loader multiple time through chameleon wizard

Once again, I really appreciate all the help....!!

• Administrators

Mmm, legacy iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)...

Maybe the Pentium D is not compatible with Mach kernel (I thought it were), although, usually, you get a kernel panic and a system reset in such case... What you could try to do then, is add one of Nawcom's legacy kernels to the root of your myHack USB installer and specify it when you boot it (just type , eg: Darwin_10.8.0). If that works, you'll have to copy the legacy kernel to your HDD after your initial installation and specify it in your Chameleon boot plist.

Try with the attached kernel.

Darwin_10.4.0.zip

• Administrators

Good stuff. Once you get to SL 10.6.8, you should then be able to use the latest legacy kernel 10.8.0. It's available in the Precision 670 boot pack if I remember well. If not, you'll easily find it on the web.