Dell Latitude E6410 - Mavericks Guide

v3ct0r

The Guide

Hello all,

As of last night/this morning, I finally got my E6410 nVidia to work with OS X Mavericks! This is my second guide for the E6410 nVidia (the first one was a Mountain Lion Guide). As far as what's changed between the two, this guide is for Mavericks, it is easier (in my opinion), and I've had to link files externally, as I have run out of space on my OSXLatitude account!

Also, if you experience any problems with the guide, please refer to the Troubleshooting section at the bottom of this post.

First off, the machine I am working with is a Dell Latitude E6410 nVidia (no surprises there) with:

• 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
  • NVS 3100M 512 MB
  • BIOS version A14

What works:

• Audio
  • Webcam
  • Trackpad & Nub (big thanks to bpedman and yeahoon)
  • Wifi - Dell 1510/Broadcom 4322 (big thanks to Darvinko wink.gif )
  • Ethernet
  • Graphics (1280x800; max resolution for my LCD)
  • Bluetooth (big thanks to alerphjuan)
  • Two-Finger Scrolling with Trackpad
  • SD Card Reader (see the "Updates" post below) 

What doesn't work:

• Sleep

Before we begin with the guide, we need to get a few things out of the way:

• If you are new to this, please first read about what a hackintosh is and what creating/using/maintaing one entails (a simple google search for "hackintosh" worked for me)
  • Read through this guide COMPLETELY before beginning
  • This guide assumes that you have backed up all your data (if you need it) and are okay with erasing EVERYTHING on your hard drive
  • I am not responsible if your laptop doesn't turn out as you'd hoped/expected (don't expect everything to work smile.gif)
  • Although this guide may look long and daunting, it should only take about 1-3 hours (3.5 hours max). I tried to make it as quick and easy as I could
  • If you have any questions/comments/concerns that you would like to share, please post them in the Help & Support -> Dell Systems -> Latitude E Series -> E6xxx -> Mavericks on Intel/nVidia (depending on your graphics configuration): https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/forum/51-e6xxx/

If you have agreed with/done the above, you may proceed with the guide...

You will need the following:

• A working Mac/Hackintosh
  • A Dell Latitude E6410 (shocker) w/NVS 3100M (the guide assumes you have the NVS 3100M Graphics Card, though the basic myHack installation should still work with Intel Graphics (see Step 23 under Creating the Installer)), A12 (or greater) BIOS (found here)
  • A hard drive that you are okay with erasing completely
  • An 8 GB or greater flash drive that you are okay with erasing
  • A copy of OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store (It's free!)
  • This zip file:
  • Patience, hope, and a pinch of faith in the guide smile.gif

Once you have those 7 things (the last one especiallysmile.gif ), continue...

A quick note:

For those of you coming from any version of Mountain Lion that was previously installed on your E6410 using my old guide, you may skip Steps 16-25 if you would like to perform an "Upgrade" installation. Simply select the partition that you have Mountian Lion on and install. So far, I have not found any problems with this method.

For those of you that never had OS X on your E6410 or those that just want to start fresh, you will need to perform a "Clean" install. Please read through the entire guide and complete all steps for the best results.

Also, for those who have MBR Disks, you can install Mavericks to said disk by copying the following files from the MBR Support folder after you finish Creating the Installer:
1. Copy OSInstall.mpkg to [iNSTALLER ROOT]/System/Installation/Packages
2. Copy OSInstall to [iNSTALLER ROOT]/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A

Creating the Installer

• Make sure your Mavericks copy is in the Applications folder on your working Mac/Hackintosh
  • Extract the E6410 M.zip file that you downloaded above to a convenient location. No matter where you do it, just remember the location!
  • Plug in your 8 GB or greater flash drive now
    • NOTE: If the drive doesn't show up, make sure it is partitioned/formatted as the following (you may use Disk Utility to do this): 1 Partition, GUID Partition Table, and Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)
  • Open the E6410 M folder and then the Applications folder.
  • Run myHack by double-clicking it and enter your password when prompted
  • From the drop-down, select "Create a OS X Installer" and click "Ok"
  • Make sure "Create OS X 10.9 Install Disk" is selected; if not, select it from the drop-down
  • Click "Ok" and select the flash drive (NOTE: Make sure you select the correct one if you have more than one connected to your system; the application will erase the selected flash drive)
  • When prompted, select "Browse Manually" and navigate to the Applications folder and select the Install OS X Mavericks app
  • Click "Open"
  • After a few seconds, you will receive a confirmation on whether or not you would like to begin the copy. Click "Ok"
  • The process will take 20-40 minutes depending on the computer/flash drive being used
  • Towards the end, you will receive a question about adding MBR Support. Click "No".
  • When it finishes, click "Ok" and "Quit"
  • Re-open myHack from the Applications folder and type in the same password you used in Step 5
  • From the drop-down, select "Install Extra" and click "Ok"
  • Again, make sure you choose the correct flash drive at the next prompt
  • At the next prompt, choose "Use My Own" from the drop-down and click "Ok"
  • Navigate to the E6410 M folder and select Extra
  • Click "Open"
  • The process should take 2-5 minutes
  • Click "Ok" and "Quit" when it finishes
  • If you have Intel Graphics, remove AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from [Root of Installation Drive]/System/Library/Extensions 

Installation

• Plug your myHack Installation flash drive into the E6410
  • Make sure your battery life is greater than 50% if you plan on not connecting to a power source
  • Turn on the laptop and press F12 to enter the "One time boot menu..."
  • Select "BIOS Setup" from the list by using the up and down arrow keys to scroll and the Enter button to select
  • Click on "Load Defaults" and then OK
  • At the warning (If you get one), click OK
  • Then, expand the "System Configuration" settings (in the left pane) by clicking on the red "+" next to it
  • Click on "SATA Operation" (also in the left pane) and select "AHCI"
  • At the warning (If you get one), click OK
  • Expand the "Virtualization Support" settings (in the left pane)
  • Click on "Enable VT for Direct I/O"
  • Uncheck "Enable VT for Direct I/O"
  • Click on "Apply" in the bottom right and then "Exit"
  • Turn the machine back on if it doesn't come up by itself and press F12 again to enter the "One time boot menu..."
  • At the menu, select "USB Storage Device"
  • When you reach the bootloader (the silver screen with different hard drives and flash drives on it), make sure the "myHack OS X Install Disk" is selected and wait for the computer to boot
  • If you (and I) did everything right, the machine should boot up into the installer without a hitch (If it doesn't, refer to the troubleshooting steps below)
  • Select your language and click on the arrow below to continue
  • At the next screen, select "Utilities" from the menu bar on top
  • Click on "Disk Utility"
  • When it opens, select the hard drive (not the partition; you should see a "Partition" tab to the right; you won't see this if you've selected a partition) you are okay with erasing completely (again, make sure it's the right one)
  • When you've verified you've selected the hard drive, navigate to the "Partition" tab (again, you won't see this if you selected a partition)
  • Select "1 Partition" from the drop-down under "Partition Layout" (unless you're an advanced user; then you can select as many as you need/want)
  • Then, next to "Format", select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
  • Give your partition a name (on a normal mac, the partition is normally labeled "Macintosh HD")
  • Then click on "Options..." and make sure "GUID Partition Table" is selected; if it's not, select it
  • Lastly, click on "Apply"
  • When that finishes, hit Command+Q (or just click the red "X" in the top left of the window)
  • You should now be at the Install OS X screen now; Click "Continue" and "Agree"
  • Select the partition you would like to install OS X to and click "Install" (and "Continue" if not connected to a power source)
  • The process will take about 20-50 minutes
  • When asked for an Extra folder, select "Use My Own" from the drop-down and double-click on the Extra folder on the Flash Drive (it should be the only one there)
  • Click "Open"
  • At the following 3 prompts, click "Yes" for all of them
  • If the machine reboots (you may have to hold down the power button to turn it off, and then press it again to turn it back on), select the partition you installed OS X to from the bootloader (press any key before the progress bar fills up completely) and press Enter
  • Welcome to OS X Mavericks on your E6410!

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has helped make this a possibility (Special thanks to Darvinko, Tengokuu, dafob, jebediah, alerphjuan, jansenspencer, roar2000, and the everyone else over in the Mountain Lion thread), bpedman & yeahoon (for the trackpad/trackstick) as well as the creator of myHack, Conti. I couldn't have gotten this working without them.

Remember:

If you have any questions/comments/concerns that you would like to share, please post them in the Help & Support -> Dell Systems -> Latitude E Series -> E6xxx -> Mavericks on Intel/nVidia (depending on your graphics configuration): 

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/forum/51-e6xxx/

• Like 7

Updates

• Ethernet 

​Looks like I forgot this one! Drop this kext into /Extra and run a myFix on the drive using myHack

AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip

• Intel Graphics

​For anybody with Intel Graphics, please see Jake Lo's Post for an overview of how to get it working. Please note, you WILL NOT have full graphics acceleration (QE/CI), only Core Image (CI)!

• SD Card Reader

​Thanks to Pablo Iglesias (see his thread here), the SD Card Reader on the E6410 is now working! Download the kext below, add it to S/L/E, and run a full myFix to see if it works for you. If it doesn't, consult the thread to find detailed instructions on how to add your SD Card Reader's device ID to the kext manually.

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

• E6410 M.zip Update 1.0

The E6410 M.zip has been updated to include the Ethernet and SD Card Reader kexts

• E6410 M.zip Update 1.1

The Shutdown & Boot fixes, along with the new Trackpad/Trackstick Update has been added to the E6410 M.zip.

• Mavericks Update 10.9.1

GOOD

UPDATE METHOD:

APP STORE/SYSTEM UPDATE

MODIFICATIONS NEEDED:

NONE

• Mavericks Update 10.9.2

GOOD

UPDATE METHOD:

APP STORE/SYSTEM UPDATE

MODIFICATIONS NEEDED:

If you receive a kernel panic like the one described here, make sure "Enable VT for Direct I/O" is unchecked in the BIOS under Virtualization Support.

If you have no sound, check the "No Sound" part of the Troubleshooting post below.

Otherwise,

NONE

• Major Guide Update!

The guide has been updated to reflect the following:

All fixes to date are included

VoodooPS2Keyboard Kernel Panics on first boot are gone

No more Post Installation steps required!

Installer creation has been slightly simplified.

• Mavericks Update 10.9.3

GOOD

UPDATE METHOD:

APP STORE/SYSTEM UPDATE

MODIFICATIONS NEEDED:

NONE

• Mavericks Update 10.9.4

GOOD

UPDATE METHOD:

APP STORE/SYSTEM UPDATE

MODIFICATIONS NEEDED:

NONE

• Mavericks Update 10.9.5

GOOD

UPDATE METHOD:

APP STORE/SYSTEM UPDATE

MODIFICATIONS NEEDED:

NONE

• Like 5

Troubleshooting

• iMessage Sign-In​

​For those of you having trouble getting iMessage to work/not sign you in, please see Deano019s's post or barkerman's post with pokenguen's advice here.

• Shutdown & Booting With "-f"

​​This should fix any problems you are having with Shutdown as well as having to boot with "-f". Simply drop the two files from the zip below in /Extra. You may have to type in your password when prompted. After a reboot, you should be able to boot without -f and shutdown should work as it should.

DSDT + Boot Fix.zip

• Trackpad/Trackstick Update

Thanks to bpedman & yeahoon's help, we now have a fully working Trackstick along with middle button scrolling, and multitouch (up to two fingers for now)! Just drop the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from the zip file below into /Extra/Extensions (you may have to type in your password when prompted) and reboot!

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• No sound

​First, check for any output devices in the Sound section of System Preferences. If nothing is found, delete AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E and run a Full myFix using myHack. Reboot and check the Sound section of the System Preferences again. Select the desired output and you should have working sound.

• VT for Direct I/O

​If you'd like VT for Direct I/O enabled, enter "dart=0" without the quotes at the bootloader (bronxteck). Alternatively, you can replace your org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra with the one attached. Note that if you made any changes to the original version that came with the boot pack, you will have to make those changes to this one too.

VT for Direct I:O fix.zip

• boot0:Error Fix

​​If you experience a boot0:Error when booting from the hard drive, reboot using the installation drive and open up myHack from the Utilities menu. Select "Install Chameleon" and then the partition you installed Mavericks on. When done, click on the Apple Logo (in the top left hand corner of the screen) and Restart.

• Like 9