Solved! Still not able to get my system past 10.6.7 update

mdg1618

Hello,

After three weeks of trying, I am still not able to update my system past 10.6.6. This is very frustrating, because I have received numerous suggestion on how to resolve this, but all have failed until now.

I am only using myhack to install extras and the DSDT file given to me by Conti on a clean system. When I run my system in verbose mode I get this message:

systemShutdown false

com_chucko_RealtekR1000:Ethernet address 6c:f0:49:e4:d4:xx

Waiting for DSMOS...

Previous Shutdown cause: 3

DSMOS has arrived

**Device in slot: SLOT --1**

I have tried replacing the RealtekR1000 kext with another one but this did not solve my problem. After three long weeks of trying with no success give one doubt of success. Is there anybody who knows a solution to my situation without buying a new mobo?

My system specs. are:

mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 BIOS F6

CPU: i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366

GPU: XFX ATI Readon HD 5770

RAM: 6GB (use only 4GB for installation)

Audio: Realtek ALC889

Ethernet: Realtek 8111D

As always any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated

Happy Hacking

mdg1618

Where it is hanging is not the realtekR1000, it is hanging at graphics init. Have you tried to force VESA mode by removing the ATI* / Radeon* kexts?

From the myHack Guide:

Most reference design HD 5xxx and 6xxxx ATI graphics cards will work oob on Lion and Snow Leopard but on Snow Leopard you will need to install the ATI kexts from the 10.6.7 MBP update.

This would be the other option, but given the fact you just want to get 10.6.8 running quickly to grab ML from the app store and then reinstall with ML I don't see any reason to go through the trouble of finding that update and then extracting the graphics extensions from it - force VESA mode, get appstore working, prepare your 10.8 myHack OS X Install Disk and install.

Hello Scott (Conti),

Thank you for your insight as to how I could resolve my upgrade problem(s). I did read the Hardware requirements and paid close attention to the HD 5xxx and 6xxx ATI graphics cards, but thought that my card was one of the ones that would work out of the box (oob). I did not know that I was having problems associated with my graphics card, because I did understand what was presented to me when I started my system in verbose mode (-v).

After several failed attempts and misguidance through other products, such as Tony Mac, I was finally able to upgrade my Snow Leopard to 10.6.8. For those of you that are interested I had trouble upgrading to 10.6.8 and would receive the message below in verbose mode:

systemShutdown false

com_chucko_RealtekR1000:Ethernet address 6c:f0:49:e4:d4:xx

Waiting for DSMOS...

Previous Shutdown cause: 3

DSMOS has arrived

**Device in slot: SLOT --1**

Steps taking to solve my upgrade problem:

1. Installed myHack

2. Made a 10.6 installer USB through myHack

3. Installed 10.6.7 (Maybe not needed, but I installed 10.6.2 first got my sound and Internet connection to work then installed 10.6.6 and finally installed 10.6.7)

4. I then went to /System/Library/Extensions (S/L/E) and copied all the 10.6.7 ATI kexts and placed them in a folder on my desktop

5. I upgraded to 10.6.8 and did not reset after upgrade was finished

6. I went back to /System/Library/Extensions (S/L/E) and deleted all the 10.6.8 ATI kext

7. I then copied all my 10.6.7 ATI kext from the folder on my desktop and placed them in to /System/Library/Extensions (S/L/E)

8. I placed my myHack USB 10.6 installer back in my computer’s USB slot and restarted my computer

9. During the boot screen I pressed F12 (Gigabyte Motherboard) to select my USB for the boot device

10. Once in myHack I installed “My own Extras†(you can choose “Use Generic One†if you do not have your own), then I ran “Run myFixâ€, “Install Chameleonâ€, “Install myHack Utilities†and then “Remove Problematic Extensionsâ€

11. I restarted my system and finally had 10.6.8 working on my system.

I believe that myHack is the best application to make a Hackintosh to this date. I am currently writing my cap stone project for University and do not have much funds, but still took the liberty to show my appreciation for your hard work and donated funds to your project.

Although, my funds are tight at this moment I would still like to contribute to myHack in the form of a suggestion. I think that it would be beneficial for novice Hackintoshers to have a place on your site (maybe with the name of “Boot campâ€) dedicated towards such things as:

1. Explanations of “My own Extrasâ€, “use my Ownâ€, “Run myFixâ€, “Install Chameleonâ€, “Install myHack Utilities†and “Remove Problematic Extensionsâ€. As well as when one should use them.

2. Common terminal commands to run for instance “Run myFix†within the terminal (which I still don’t know how to do until now)

3. How to identify common screens within the verbose mode that give indication to problems and how one can solve them

4. How to make a DSDT.aml and a smbios list and why they are important

5. Possible boot flags to use for certain errors (for example: GrahicsEnabler=No –v, USBBusFix=Yes)

6. How to force VESA mode and why

I know that some of these topics may seem trivial to some, but for a novice Hackitosher the share name of DSDT can be overwhelming and may discourage individuals from trying to advance all together. I believe that this information could answer many questions within the forum and give novice Hackintoshers the background basic needed to successfully implement myHack into their Hackintosh project.

As always, I will gladly volunteer my free time and services to increase the user base pertaining to myHack.

All the best to all and

Happy Hacking

mdg1618