New Hard Drive, New Problems

Barry

• Administrators

well it seems chameleon can not handel 4k offsets... chameleon problem 129... i got around it by installing it to efi partition but its a pain sometimes as lion wants to "fix" my efi partition if i do a disk repair on the root disk. the simplest methode i found was to use chameleon wizard and activate efi support in it's preferences. then once activated mount it to check version then format to hfs from the efi menu then install to it bye selecting the efi partition... your theme has to be there too in efi partition or it will be in verbose so you have to mont it go to finder and drop in the theme folder, and modules folder and make sure the boot file is in there in the efi root... in the wizards preferances un check hide boot file.

In response to fc0706, I was mainly trying this on a 750GB 7200RPM Momentus Seagate HDD and wasn't having luck. Wondering if it was some sort of limitation with the hard drive statistics I tried my 80GB 5400RPM Hitachi Travelstar HDD. Exact same problem. I haven't been able to work on this for months because I've started school and haven't had time to really mess with my computer's hard drives, but I have been working on possible problems. The one I need to check out next is seeing if it's possible that the file structure of my USB Drive was possibly modified and therefor wasn't installing all the possible data correctly. That's my current theory, although probably wrong. Also, I've never been able to use the D620SLV1 method completely successfully. One of the biggest things that confuses me is how, once OSX is installed, the system profile misreads my hardware and only on my graphics card. I believe I previously stated this, but I haven't figured out the solution and I believe it's the only real thing causing me problems. I'm looking forward to sitting down and seeing if OS 10.7 and the new EDP may solve the problems.

In response to Bronxteck, what do you mean by a 4k offset? Also, would you be able to explain more in-depth what you did to get around the problem? Sorry for never replying back to our conversation, as I had said school started up and haven't had time.

Dear Bronxteck,

Thanks for your comment. I just checked the below website that my harddisk is in fact a 4K bytes sector.

http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/mobile/travelstar/travelstar-7k750

Can you explain a little more about the procedure to get around this problem? How to make EFI partition and make the HD in HSF format? and how to get a workable bootloader?

I have tried the Chameleon Wizard on my successfully installed 10.6.0 with latest Chameleon in all 4 install options (boot0hfs, boot0md, boot0, update) but the bootloader still did not work. Later I updated to 10.6.8 update combo with the latest EDP1.9.1. Then the system crashed and cannot be booted up again even with the D620SLV1.iso CD. Now, I have to install SL again. In the past, I used the D620SLV1.iso with SL 10.6.0 installation DVD to install SL. Once the system was sucessfully installed, all I need to do was to click on the file postinstall.command from D620SLV1 CD to install Chameleon bootloader.

Appreciate your comment.

Best regards,

FC