OS X Lion DP 4 Installation

simeonoff

Hello everyone,

I have a D630 with intel graphics. I use this method to prepare a bootable Chameleon flash drive with Lion DP4. Flash drive boots successfully. I choose my Destination Partition for Lion and then when the install process begins, the installation just freezes! I cannot move my mouse or anything... and this is as far as I get.... Can you help or just share your method of installing DP4 on your Dell laptops? Thanks in advance!

-Simon

Hello everyone,

I have a D630 with intel graphics. I use this method to prepare a bootable Chameleon flash drive with Lion DP4. Flash drive boots successfully. I choose my Destination Partition for Lion and then when the install process begins, the installation just freezes! I cannot move my mouse or anything... and this is as far as I get.... Can you help or just share your method of installing DP4 on your Dell laptops? Thanks in advance!

-Simon

Hey Simon,

First off, this is good news, for me, as I have the Nvidia model and thought that was my issue, but seeing as you have intel, it gives me some hope. Anyway here are some ideas:

So I have been working on this for a few weeks, DP2 installed without issue, but had issues afterward, lock ups etc... On DP4 Ive managed to get it going, some what, but here are some ideas, all random results. First, I had to remove my modular dvd-rw drive and had to use the boot flags -v arch=i386 cpus=1. I managed to get it to install, but even then Ive still had the random lockups (Ive been doing many reinstalls, trying to reproduce the same results so that I can provide the D630 users with a sure fire way to do this install and also put together a package to help it go smoothly). Another way Ive done it and it went more smoothly was to remove all kexts except FakeSMC, this assumes you have a USB mouse and keyboard. The install goes great, but still had to use "-v arch=i386 cpus=1". Once installed Lion is extremely slow because its not utilizing the Graphics CI/QE. it does detect it as being the Quadro NVS 135m, but with only 3mb vram and doesnt detect the displays. Im sure this is something easy to fix, I just havent gotten that far on my project to worry about those things yet. As you are using the Intel graphics you may not have the same issues that I'm having.

I hope I gave you some ideas on how to get further along on your install experience, sometimes I miss things, if you have any questions, ask and I'll help you out the best I can.

Forgot to also mention you need to either add your dsdt.aml to the Extra dir or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to the /Extra/Extensions directory or you will get a KP. I used the DSDT.aml because I wanted to deal with limited kexts so I would be able to narrow down issues better.

Edited by devious

Hey Simon,

First off, this is good news, for me, as I have the Nvidia model and thought that was my issue, but seeing as you have intel, it gives me some hope. Anyway here are some ideas:

So I have been working on this for a few weeks, DP2 installed without issue, but had issues afterward, lock ups etc... On DP4 Ive managed to get it going, some what, but here are some ideas, all random results. First, I had to remove my modular dvd-rw drive and had to use the boot flags -v arch=i386 cpus=1. I managed to get it to install, but even then Ive still had the random lockups (Ive been doing many reinstalls, trying to reproduce the same results so that I can provide the D630 users with a sure fire way to do this install and also put together a package to help it go smoothly). Another way Ive done it and it went more smoothly was to remove all kexts except FakeSMC, this assumes you have a USB mouse and keyboard. The install goes great, but still had to use "-v arch=i386 cpus=1". Once installed Lion is extremely slow because its not utilizing the Graphics CI/QE. it does detect it as being the Quadro NVS 135m, but with only 3mb vram and doesnt detect the displays. Im sure this is something easy to fix, I just havent gotten that far on my project to worry about those things yet. As you are using the Intel graphics you may not have the same issues that I'm having.

I hope I gave you some ideas on how to get further along on your install experience, sometimes I miss things, if you have any questions, ask and I'll help you out the best I can.

Forgot to also mention you need to either add your dsdt.aml to the Extra dir or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to the /Extra/Extensions directory or you will get a KP. I used the DSDT.aml because I wanted to deal with limited kexts so I would be able to narrow down issues better.

I tried everything you suggested. Still no luck getting it to install. Constant lock ups no matter what I try. I guess it has something to do with the BIOS version and how it's configured. DP1 installed without any issues. I don't know what's changed since DP1. I use A17 Bios with dsdt.aml from the latest EDP1,8. I am desperate to see that most people get it installed and I have no luck with it :( Cuz I am sure that once installed it will boot fine... with my current dsdt and kexts.

I tried everything you suggested. Still no luck getting it to install. Constant lock ups no matter what I try. I guess it has something to do with the BIOS version and how it's configured. DP1 installed without any issues. I don't know what's changed since DP1. I use A17 Bios with dsdt.aml from the latest EDP1,8. I am desperate to see that most people get it installed and I have no luck with it :( Cuz I am sure that once installed it will boot fine... with my current dsdt and kexts.

Well After replying earlier, I browsed insanely mac for a while and found a solution. It wouldn't be apparent to us since, well at least with my system, we get random spots sometimes even into the installer. Turns out the problematic kext is AppleACPIPlatform.kext, I replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext (ACPIPlatform depends on this being the same it was linked to) on my lion installer USB and then on my Lion Partition after install. works almost flawlessly, with the versions from my SL 10.6.7 partition, if you still have DP1 image(I don't) you might try pulling those kexts from there instead, since it worked for you. The problem I then ran into is my IO80211Family.kext would not load because it was looking for the newer IOPCIFamily.kext, so again I brought over SL version of IO80211Family.kext to my Lion install. works great!

I recommend using KextWizard for doing the install of the legacy kexts and rebuilds of the caches, I even used it to prepare my USB Installer. it works great and I was able to install the kexts from my Snow install and rebuild them all, then boot Lion. I now have lion working about 100%, I haven't messed with sleep yet, if I remember correctly, requires a modified sleep enabler. As for sound, etc I just pulled the kexts from edp and it worked fine. The one issue you may have is it may hang using certain ApplePS2 controller kexts, you might not, but just incase I've attached the one that works for me, I can't remember where I found it, probably insanelymac.

I'm sure there are better methods to doing this, hopefully a guru reads this and has a tip. Im sure by replacing those kexts with older versions I may have broke other kexts as well, but as far as I can tell all hardware is working fine. but this is the method I found worked for me.

I hope this helps you out. Please disregard all of the initial things I had you try as it just happened to be a fluke I got as far as I did with those techniques. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

btw, this reply was done on Lion ;)

PS2 Lion Kexts.zip

Great! Thanks! It installs now, and it is working! I now have DP4 up and running on my D630 thanks to you! May be you should do a definitive guide for our systems. :) Lion is still a bit choppy, but I guess it is due to low RAM and bad graphics, otherwise it is working 100%! Need to do some testing now :) Thank you once again!