Cannot start installation on Dell Latitude D620

alexmathayes

Hi!

I went through the post (Howto install OSX 10.6 on a Dell Latitude D620/D820/D420/D430) at:

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/1b8db/

But, when I tried to follow the directions, I replace and insert the Snow Leopard Retail dvd after Chameleon has booted, It doesn't recognize the DVD no matter how many times I hit F5. I even tried restoring the DVD image to Pen Drive and then do the same. The pen drive gets recognized at the bootloader but when I select it and hit enter it takes forever and nothing loads. I tried the verbose mode, with no success. What am I doing wrong.

Another thing which I wanted to ask. I even tried with other distros but without any success. I read through a lot of links and there's one option in the Dell Latitude D620 BIOS setting thats been bugging me. All links say that I have to set the SATA option to AHCI but, I don't even see that option in the Dell D620 BIOS.

Is there any way that I can add that option in the BIOS by some way of tweaking. I think if I could add the option for AHCI or somehow enable it in the BIOS or even during the chameleon startup (using some command while booting the iso) then I should be able to go ahead with the installation or get some success.

Please let me know or advise me what to do. I will be waiting eagerly for your response.

:(

--

Regards

Alex Mathayes

• Administrators

Hi Al...

AHCI is not an option in the d620 bios. but it's un necessary. first off you have to make sure your burning the image correctly. making sure that the final disk is not still an .iso or .dmg.... i did that i remember when i first started this hobby lol. i was making a duplicate of the image file instead of mounting the iso/dmg as a disk to burn lol... i think f10 also shows all drives but give the dvd rom a few seconds for the disc to spin up and register before hitting f5/f10. bye the way is the cd rom dvd capable? also can you boot from cd like a linux distro with the cd rom? they do go bad.

Hi Al...

AHCI is not an option in the d620 bios. but it's un necessary. first off you have to make sure your burning the image correctly. making sure that the final disk is not still an .iso or .dmg.... i did that i remember when i first started this hobby lol. i was making a duplicate of the image file instead of mounting the iso/dmg as a disk to burn lol... i think f10 also shows all drives but give the dvd rom a few seconds for the disc to spin up and register before hitting f5/f10. bye the way is the cd rom dvd capable? also can you boot from cd like a linux distro with the cd rom? they do go bad.

I have checked, checked and re-checked that the image that I am burning is not an ISO/DMG. Anyway first the bootloader didn't recognize the DVD when i replaced it and hit F5/F10... then I mounted the ISO/DMG to a USB pen drive of about 7.5 GB... The Pen Drive got recognized at the bootloader but still the installation never started.

Have tried it numerous times. The DVD drive does boot with any of Bootabel DVD/CD including the Windows, Linux as well as the chameleon bootloader.

try with this boot iso

Yes I tried with your Boot.iso ... same thing happens...

If I'm using the USB PEn drive to start the installation (Pen drive on which I have restored the SL installation DVD image) and same thing with the DVD as before.

The system starts, the bootloader boots the system and shows me the list of partitions from which I can boot from and the moment I replace the boot CD with SL install DVD and hit F5/F10 numerous times.... nothing happens.

If I connect the USB Pen drive, it gets detected and I try to start the installation through that, still the installation just doesn't start.

What I did recently was forgot about Snow Leopard.

I have a desktop on which I started the Lion Installation using the USB Pen drive.... It all worked flawlessly

OS X Lion is installed and running smoothly on my desktop computer.

Later I tried to boot uting the same USB Pen drive which had all the files necessary for Lion Installation, I tried the same on my Dell Latitude D620 and VIOLA it worked like a charm on the Latitude notebood as well.

Currently I have OS X Lion installed on my desktop computer as well as the Dell Latitude D620 all running flawlessly.

Except, There are a few issues that I am facing on my Dell D620.

1) The Ethernet does not work (I haven't installed any driver for it)

2) No Audio (Again no driver installed)

3) The Kayboard and the touchpad/trackpad/nousepad on D620 does not work.

I currently have to connect a USB Keyboard and mouse in order to work in OS X Lion.

Does anyone have drivers for the same or could guide me the right direction from where I could get the drivers that will work for my Dell Latitude D620