Connecting to an External Monitor

Zach

Hello, I'm in need of a bit of assistance.

Up until about a week ago, my Dell Latitiude D620 had been having a slight problem with the screen. Me, being my stupid self, did not want to delve into the problem, and instead opted for a quick-fix.

The Problem : Laptop Monitor no longer shows anything but a gray screen. Happening for over 3 weeks, quick-fixed by tapping down on the top right side of the screen a few times to restore it.

Recently, the screen will not come on at all, and I fear something inside may have been coming loose. I think I may have knocked it completely out.

What I want to do : I'm on my computer nearly all the time, but I don't know anything about the insides of them and the such. I've thought about taking it apart and probing around inside to look for obvious problems, but I'm worried I may not get it back together the same way it was.

What I want to do, is simply attach an external monitor to the laptop. Problem with that is, I can't see anything on my laptop monitor, and therefore cannot get any options, or set any display settings or anything.

The external monitor I want to connect it to is securely plugged and screwed in to the back, but the monitor displays nothing. (Not the gray screen like my laptop, but the black as if it was off.) All I can read from the external monitor on the front is NEC MultiSync 1940CX, if that helps any.

Please, I'm open to pretty much all suggestions. I'm leaving it to you guys from here on.

if its an nvidia graphics model it might be the motherboard. try holding Fn key and pressing F8

I tried that, It is supposed to switch between the laptop monitor, the external monitor, or both.

I pressed it all 3 times, I got nothing.

Although, when I connected the cable to my laptop, I pressed the menu button on the external monitor, and it said no signal, so perhaps the monitor isn't picking up the connection.

Nevermind the above mentioned issue, I've instead opted for a newer, custom-made computer which will be ready in about a week. After that, I'll have him look at the laptop and see what he can do to fix it.