AMD install hangs

Rita G.

AMD phenom II x4 965

PNY NVIDIA 8800GT 512mb

10.6.3 Retail DVD

following install insructions and got as far as:

4. For a period of time, the only thing you’ll see is a bunch of white text scrolling down on a black background. This is the retail DVD trying to boot the installer. This could take a while and don’t panic when it seems stuck.

. . and the bottom line of all the text says

still waiting for root device

and adds another line about every 2 min or so indefinitely.

can someone please help me?

• Administrators

PCI issue... Try and change your PCI root ID with Chameleon boot option PciRoot=, where you can try n=1 or 2 or 3 or 4 for instance (default is 0). If you (still) have Windows, you may want to check that default PCI root id by extracting the DSDT table from BIOS with a tool such as DSTEditor or Aida64. You'll find it under PCI0 section -> UID parameter.

thank you Herve for your reply. i spent as much time on that computer as it takes to conclude that it won't work. . . so  . .  i'm now trying on a 

asus m4a87td/usb3

amd phenom II x6 1090t

nvidia 550ti gpu

and installation is in progress at this time.

looks like we have another 'loser'. the installer is installing for almost an hour now and has been stuck at 'Time Remaining: About 12 minutes' for 30 minutes or so. i tried moving mouse around, but it doesn't do anything . . and dvd drive activity light shows no action at all.

AMD phenom II x4 965

PNY NVIDIA 8800GT 512mb

10.6.3 Retail DVD

. . so i changed the dvd drive in this rig ( IDE to SATA) and was able to proceed to installer. But after partioning/formatting in utilities > disk utility, i exit disk utility & installer will not proceed any further. any advice?