Boot issues on Dell D620

cpierce

I have an old D620 that is setup triple booting 10.6.8, Ubuntu 12.04 and Win7. I used a empireEFI CD to install snow leopard and then used EDP 1.9 to install the kexts and Chameleon. After that I upgraded from 10.6.3 (my install CD version) to 10.6.8. I then installed to other operating systems. It has worked well for a couple of years now. 

The other day my snow leopard stopped booting. I get the gray screen and spinning wheel forever. The other operating systems still boot just fine. I feel if I can boot into my existing snow leopard, I can run EDP again and fix everything. The problem is that the empireEFI CD only works for 10.6.3 and older so I can't use it since I am on 10.6.8. 

I think myHack with the D620 bootpack should be able to get me in there, but I don't know if it has that option. It seems to be only for installation. 

I use could use some help. I don't want to wipe it and start all over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Administrators

If your D620 SL partition boots with Chameleon, manually enter -v flag to try and see where boot process stops/hangs. You could also try to boot in single user mode with -s flag and once in there, proceed with a myFix repair with myfix -qt / command from the # prompt. This assumes you have myHack installed on your troubled SL partition. If it's not the case, the same process could be attempted from a myHack USB installer loaded to the main installer screen and from which Terminal app can be launched.

You could probably try a complete myHack-based re-install of SL over your existing SL partition and expect to retain all your previous files and applications as long as you simply overwrite the existing partition, not reformat it. I know that works with ML for instance.

post-2073-0-79465800-1399947740_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much. I actually just tried -x for safe mode. The progress bar went about 25% and stopped. So I then tried -v. The last thing showing was about executing fsck. I got " volume is journaled so no checking performed" then " use -f option to force checking". I took a picture and will try to post it. I tried the -f but just got the spinning wheel again. I will try the -s option as well.

If I can't get it figured out, I will go the MyHack usb route since I don't have it installed on my partition. The re-install option makes me nervous. I have a complete disk image that I can restore, but it is about 6 months old.

• Administrators

You would normally expect stuff like Network drivers, DSMOS, etc after that. If you're getting stuck on a disk verification, maybe you ought to get it checked out. If you can, try and boot off a myHack USB installer, get to the main installation screen and go to Disk Utility to perform a HDD check and possible repair. It's not good that you can't even boot in safe mode.

I also notice your D620 is reporting issues with VoodooPState. Any idea why?

I attach a copy of a kernel log, having booted ML on my D620 GMA950.

D620_kernel_log.rtf

If I just need to run disk utility, can I just boot up on my original installation CD and run it, then back out of the installation ? Would it mess up Chameleon or existing SL? If there is a risk, I will just go the MyHack USB route. I have no clue why I am getting the Voodoo error. 

• Administrators

There's no risk in doing a disk verification/repair through Disk Utility. You can't boot anyway.

By the way, you can boot off the myHack USB installer, then interrupt the Chameleon bootstrap and switch to your HDD SL partition to try and load it. That's one way to boot OS X when the HDD bootloader is missing or is damaged. It does not seem to be the case at all here, but it could be something worth trying in case the issue comes from say an older version of Chameleon...